i5 Gaming :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isthir

Solid State Member
Basically here are the parts I was ideally aiming for but need some suggestions on how to lower the price, what to do, what not to do etc.

Motherboard:
Scan.co.uk: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5, Intel P55 Ex, S1156, PCI-E 2.0(x16), DDR3 2200/1333/1066, SATA 3Gb/s RAID, ATX

Processor/CPU:
Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) Processor - Retail - Aria PC

RAM/Memory:
Scan.co.uk: CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 - 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 8, XMP, DHX, 1.65V

GPU/Graphics Card:
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [HD-577A-ZNDA] Graphics and Video ATI HD 5770 Series

HDD:
Scan.co.uk: 640GB Western Digital WD6400AARS Caviar Green, SATA 3Gb/s, 64MB Cache

Upgrade -
Scan.co.uk: GFC-00026 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium UPGRADE DVD, 32/64Bit, Reatil

Power:
Scan.co.uk: 650W Corsair CMPSU-650TX, single 12V rail, energy efficient, quiet & cool, fully compatible

Case:
Scan.co.uk: SGC-2000-KKN1-GP - Coolermaster Storm Scout Mid Tower Black Case w/o PSU (Gaming)

Display:
22in LG W2243S 5ms Black Widescreen TFT Monitor (TN Panel) [W2243S-PFI.AEUVAP] from Tekheads.co.uk Tekheads.co.uk - performance computer hardware

CPU Cooler:
Scan.co.uk: CWCH50-1 - Corsair H50-1 Hydro Series High-performance CPU Watercooler, LGA775/1156/1366, AM2/2+/AM3 *NEW V2*

All of this comes to just over £900;

And if you look at the potential buget figures below, I REALLY need to find some other options to cut some £'s because a £900 PC is one I can not afford, I'm on a tight budget as it is but finding decent replacements without impacting performance negatively could strike a challenge for me.

Potential Max Budget - £910
Potential Min Budget £690

Anyway, Any Suggestions/Tips/Help would be very nice and very appreciated, Thank you for taking the time to read this :big_grin:

Lew W.

You can lower costs by getting it all from one site; that way you're only paying for shipping once. Since you seem to link to four different sites you could save like 20-30 quid on shipping alone.

See if you can get OCZ memory instead, it's just as good as Corsair, and cheaper.

Are you going to be overclocking?

Are you planning on adding another graphics card in future? If not, you can go for >450W power supply.

Good choices on all parts, though. Though personally I'd just go for a decent metal heatsink over Corsair's cooling thing (will save you money and not really make much difference).

I'm overclocking, but what I might do is get the XFX Radeon HD5770 XXX, Then upgrade the power supply and Graphics card along with a few other things at a later date when I have the money. How's that sound?

Better to get a good power supply now, means you don't have to buy one a better one in future.

At the moment I have:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.20GHz,
A Packard Bell Mobo, god knows what it is,
Nvidia geForce 8400GS,
2GB DDR2 RAM,
240GB HDD,
Vista Home Premium,
Philips 170B Display (Ancient)

I want to keep the i5, i'm not too bothered about swapping the 5700 series card for a lower ATi 4000 series one because they perform decently and thats a decent drop in price AND performance but somethings gotta go |: I'll keep the 650W TX Corsair Power supply, they are extremely reliable and Corsair are great for power supplies. The H50 i'm keeping unless there is a better or same performance cooler for a lower price? Maybe swap the UD5 for a UD4 or a better/same performance mobo? Keep Windows 7, I can't stand Vista get, it the **** away. Maybe a lower priced Display? A decent "19? I mean give me some tips, opinions maaannnnn! :D

realistically, if you want a build thats closer to your potential min. budget, you're going to have to cut back on some things and going with an amd phenom ii build would get you closer to that if you dont mind switching. as far as gaming goes, there would not be a huge difference from the intel.

this could be a possible build
AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache Retail Box Processor - Ebuyer
MSI 770-C45 AMD 770 AM3 DDR3 Support 8 channel Blu-ray Audio GB LAN ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer
Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Ballistix Memory Kit CL8(8-8-8-24) 1.65V Unbuffered Non-ECC - Ebuyer
HIS HD 5770 1GB GDDR5l DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer
Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer
OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU - 1x PCI-E 6/8pin, 2x SATA 12cm Fan - Ebuyer
Coolermaster Elite 334 Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU - Ebuyer
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Version upgrade package - 1 PC - DVD - Ebuyer
Acer X223HQB 22" Widescreen LCD TFT Monitor 1920x1080 300cd/m2 20,000:1 (Dynamic) 5ms VGA - Ebuyer
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 (Intel LGA1366, LGA1156, LGA775 and AMD AM2, AM2+, AM3 ) aluminum with nickel plated copper base Processor cooler - Ebuyer

totals £715 + shipping.

the most obvious change would be the cpu and mobo; a good phenom ii quad-core and mobo for the money. you can find a review of it here if you want.

still includes 4gigs of ddr3 ram. they are rated at the same speed and timings as the corsair dominators (1600mhz, cas 8) but are a good bit cheaper. not because they are crap, the dominators are just expensive.

still includes a 5770 1gig just from a different brand, ocz 500w psu that would run it fine, a 500gig hdd and cm case thats not as flashy as the storm scout but its not ugly and will get the job done.

and as you see, ive listed a different cooler. the corsair h50 is nice but expensive. that noctua heatsink offers similar cooling at a lesser cost.

just another suggestion.

I think I might keep the H50, it's onlyy £10 more and it's a water cooler so it'll keep the temps down better than the noctua in term, Also I can afford the extra £10 for that nice performance. I was thinking of sticking to Intel really, AMD Phenom II is as high as you get on the AM3 socket where as, if I got an Intel mobo P55/LGA1156 and got a i5 750, I could later upgrade to an i7 860 etc. when I have teh monehz.

I was thinking of sticking to Intel really, AMD Phenom II is as high as you get on the AM3 socket where as, if I got an Intel mobo P55/LGA1156 and got a i5 750, I could later upgrade to an i7 860 etc. when I have teh monehz.

for now yes, but the upcoming amd thuban hexa-core cpu will be compatible with the am3 socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom