Putting together an i7...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Josh

Beta member
Hello,

I'm looking to put together a new computer, primarily for gaming/media. I'd like something that's going to run nicely and, unlike my last PC, I'd like to be able to hear the audio over the sound of the fans...

Here's what I've got so far from poking around on various forums

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced Black Steel body / Plastic + Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Welcome to platinummicro.com- Computer Superstore - Product Detail
Amazon.com: LG UH08LS10 Super Multi Blue - Disk drive - DVD?RW (?R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM - 8x - Serial ATA - internal - 5.25" - black - LightScribe: GizmosForLife
Newegg.com - ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Does this all look decent? I've never OC'd before but I'm interested in playing around with that, so it seems like the i7 920 is a good idea... Is the PSU overkill? Are there any modular PSUs that use less wattage that I should look into? What else should I look into to keep her quiet(ish)? Any fan recommendations?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the info I've already found on the forum prior to this post!

Looks good to me. The powersupply is not overkill, it will be good if you upgrade later on. But you are right modular would be much better - you should be good with a corsair 650HX ($10 more) but if you want to go crossfire later on the 750TX would be better. Also you might want to look into some good decent fans like Scyth Slip Stream.

Yeah the 750TX has a lot of long cords, though with the 690 II it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Took me a while to get it all crammed in decently, but I've just got the centurion 534 which has no wire management holes at all soo.

EDIT: Could look into the intel 40gb SSD, same price, might be slightly faster. Not really sure though, don't remember any numbers for that OCZ.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167025&Tpk=intel 40gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom