~$1500 Build, How's it look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwrider82

Beta member
My laptop is starting to show it's age so I've decided it's time to upgrade. This will be my first custom build. I will primarily be using this pc for web development and graphic design, with Illustrator, Photoshop, and Aptana being the main apps I use. My budget is loosely based at $1500 including a monitor but excluding shipping, tax, etc. Anyways, enough rambling already, below is the config I currently have put together. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mobo: $190.00 - ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Proc: $195.00 - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156
Mem: $115.00 - G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Video: $310.00 - SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Hdd: $75.00 - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
Optical: $45.00 - PLEXTOR 24X DVD/CD
Case: $100.00 - Antec Nine Hundred
PSU: $120.00 - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Monitor: $219.00 - DELL 2209WA

Total: $1474.00

Is it worth it to jump up to a i7 920?

Thanks guys!

if you use combos and change up a few parts, an i7 rig can be had for right around the same price.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! (plus a power cord)
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Writer - Bulk - LightScribe Support - OEM
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

totals $1,276 + shipping (not including any possible taxes and such), and not including a monitor. $15 off of psu with promo code EMCYNZN47.

changing to an i7 means changing the mobo to accommodate the socket change and a 1366 mobo would be better suited with a 6gig (3x2gb kit) of triple channel ram. this really should be enough for your needs, but you can always add more.

the corsair 750w is more than would be required to power that rig, unless you wanted to prep your system for an additional gfx card later on. plus there was a good combo with a different psu with the case you picked and you can get an additional $15 off with a promo code. (and btw, if you do end up getting that combo, you need the power cord because for some reason that psu doesnt come with one).

also, i dont really know what makes that optical drive you listed worth $45, too expensive IMO. i think the drive i listed should work well enough.

and finally as you see i didnt include a monitor. kinda like the drive, i dont really know why that dell costs so much. to me it just seems expensive for what you get.

what about something like this? larger monitor, higher res. and same price when you factor in shipping cost.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2494SW Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 50000:1 (1000:1) - LCD Monitors

if you use combos and change up a few parts, an i7 rig can be had for right around the same price.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! (plus a power cord)
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Writer - Bulk - LightScribe Support - OEM
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

totals $1,276 + shipping (not including any possible taxes and such), and not including a monitor. $15 off of psu with promo code EMCYNZN47.

changing to an i7 means changing the mobo to accommodate the socket change and a 1366 mobo would be better suited with a 6gig (3x2gb kit) of triple channel ram. this really should be enough for your needs, but you can always add more.

the corsair 750w is more than would be required to power that rig, unless you wanted to prep your system for an additional gfx card later on. plus there was a good combo with a different psu with the case you picked and you can get an additional $15 off with a promo code. (and btw, if you do end up getting that combo, you need the power cord because for some reason that psu doesnt come with one).

also, i dont really know what makes that optical drive you listed worth $45, too expensive IMO. i think the drive i listed should work well enough.

and finally as you see i didnt include a monitor. kinda like the drive, i dont really know why that dell costs so much. to me it just seems expensive for what you get.

what about something like this? larger monitor, higher res. and same price when you factor in shipping cost.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2494SW Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 50000:1 (1000:1) - LCD Monitors

Thanks for the suggestions. The reason I am going with the Dell monitor is because it has an IPS panel instead of a TN. Since I do a lot of graphic design work I need accurate color reproduction which an IPS panel will give.

I took your suggestions and came up with a new build below.

Mobo/CPU Combo: $479.00 - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366/Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield
Mem/Video Combo: $465.00 - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB)/XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850
I opted for an XFX vid card over MSI since I have heard some bad things about MSI.

Hdd: $75.00 - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
Optical: $26.00 - LITE-ON DVD Writer
Case/PSU Combo: $170.00 - Antec Nine Hundred Two/Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
I upgraded to the newer 902 case, cause it's not quite as ugly. :silly:

Monitor: $219.00 - DELL 2209WA
If someone has a better suggestion for an IPS monitor please let me know.

Total: $1539.00

Any conflicts/suggestions on the above build? Thanks!

The Dell 2209WA isn't exactly what I would personally consider an "IPS" panel.
E-IPS is some jacked up wide gamut technology that Dell is selling that can hardly be said to be better than TN in most cases.
The viewing angles are the same as a TN despite what Dell advertises and there is still color distortion coupled with head movement.
I've personally seen a Dell 2209WA in action and if you don't calibrate it very well, the colors can look even more washed out than a decent TN panel.
None the less, it's not an atrocious monitor.

It just doesn't perform up to my standards.
(If I was a graphics artist I sure as **** wouldn't cheap out and buy one.)
I'm used to S-MVA panels though and good old bright 500cd/m^2
Also, my laptop uses an H-IPS panel. (A rare thing indeed)

I suppose I'm spoiled on nice panel technology.

It's a shame you can't still find a cheap L2410NM anywhere...
Now there was some nice quality in the 200-250 range.

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5042747

There's one of the beauties. :3
If only the shipping cost wasn't so high for US, I might buy it myself lol.

Yeah I'm not too sure about getting the 2209wa. I have read some good things as well as some bad things about it. It would also be nice if it were full HD.

I have been doing some more research though, and came across the NEC EA231WMI. It has some decent reviews and is in my price range. It's not 16:10 though, which I would prefer.

I am also tempted to wait for either the HP ZR22W or ZR24W as they are both within my budget and are S-IPS instead of e-IPS. It sounds like they won't be coming out until mid-March though, and I'm not sure if I can wait that long.:lol:

Sigh... Choices, choices, choices. :neutral:

Go to a local tigerdirect or computer store.
They usually have many different monitors on display.
Check them out and do some in face comparison is all I can say.
See if you can find a 2209WA in person and check out the horizontal and vertical color distortion before you make a decision.

Also that NEC you mentioned is E-IPS just like the 2209WA

I decided to see what I could do as adjustments to your build, maintaining the same or better performance and spending less money.
Overall, I've come up with a build that costs $1000~ sans monitor.
Freeing you up $500 to get a decent monitor.

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - Bulk LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners
LG DVD Burner with Light Scribe - $26
Windows 7 64 bit Premium - $105
Combo XFX 5850 + OCZ ModXStream PSU 700w - $355
Combo Patriot Gaming RAM 4Gb 2x2Gb 1600Mhz CL9 + Rosewill Blackbone case - $134
Combo i5 750 + Gigabyte 1156 Motherboard - $279
SuperBiiz.com - Samsung HD103SJ 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb HDD - $88

Comes out to around $1000
Will have equal or better performance than the build you posted.

Monitors I looked at.
(The L2410NM I posted above)

http://www.bestitstore.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/686236
That's an S-IPS 24" 1920x1200 monitor for $550 with shipping included

http://www.lscwarehouse.com/p221w-bk.html
That's an S-PVA 22" 1680x1050 monitor for $330 with shipping included

There's more nice monitors in your pricing range, but I don't have time to sift the internets looking for rare panels. :p

I already pulled the trigger on the i7 920 config I posted above.:big_grin:

I think I'll just hold out and use my 32" Samsung TV until the new HP's come out.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom