Google to offer 'ultra high-speed' broadband in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Hey look, I'm Osiris!

Google is spreading its wings in yet another direction - this time as a network provider, offering super-fast broadband to thousands of US homes.

It plans to build a fibre-optic network offering speeds of up to 1Gbps (gigabit per second) to up to 500,000 homes.

It said it would compete on price with other broadband providers offering much slower speeds.

Google said the trial was about promoting killer apps that would take advantage of fast speeds.

"We planning to build and test ultra high-speed broadband networks in a small number of trial locations across the United States," the search giant said in its blog.

"We plan to offer service at a competitive price to at least 50,000 and potentially up to 500,000 people. We'll deliver internet speeds more than 100 times faster than what most Americans have access to today," it continued.

Read More: BBC News - Google to offer 'ultra high-speed' broadband in US

I read about this earlier today... Google is taking over! Run!

Finally, a new ISP company - one with the resources to to be a challenge to AT&T and the other US ones.

Hopefully they'll have an effect over here too :)

im up for this.. lol.. looks interesting tho.. was watching it on a geek site sometime back. im a google big supporter.. haha.. tho, i dont really support gmail =P.. different preferences for different uses and functions =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom