new mobo and cpu wont boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look for a voltage setting labeled CPU VTT or QPI/DRAM Voltage and try raising it up. And then try reducing the DRAM Voltage down from 1.9 volts.

The CPU VTT or QPI/DRAM Voltage is the cpu core to memory voltage. Think of it as the Memory Controller Voltage. You'll probably need to raise this up to around 1.3-1.4 volts. Don't go over 1.45 volts.

While 1.9 volts is way to much and it can damage your mobo, in theory it will operate safely as long as the CPU VTT or QPI/DRAM Voltage is within .5 volts of the DRAM Voltage. So with your DRAM Voltage at 1.9 volts your CPU VTT or QPI/DRAM Voltage must be at least 1.4 volts.

But as you raise the CPU VTT or QPI/DRAM Voltage your VReg or Mosfet (Voltage Regulator Circuitry) Temperature will rise. Keep this temperature below 80C Max. at Full Load, you really want to keep this temp at 70C Max. at Full Load if possible.

In addition to what Slay Mate said, I checked your motherboard's memory compatibility chart.
Your OCZ RAM is listed there, but being that it's 1600 Mhz standard, you may need to lower your RAM down and overclock your CPU, because the i7 860's standard memory frequencies are DDR3 1066/1333
In order to run that RAM at 1600, you'll have to be overclocking the NBFreq? Or wtfever they call it these days...
And keep your RAM voltage as low as possible, I wouldn't run i7 RAM any higher than 1.66V or as Slay Mate said, more than .5v higher than the VTT.

So what I think you'll end up having is your CPU and NBFreq(Or wtfever it is these days) overclocked, having your memory downed a little bit, and having your DRAM voltage turned down and your VTT raised.
You should be able to get some stability?

Ok I configured my memory. I'm having trouble getting Windows 7 to open, just hangs. I did not reinstall it cause I have a few files I never got around to transferring to my external hdd. I've been trying to reinstall on my IDE hdd but it keeps freezing and doesn't complete the install. Do you have any ideas about this?

To eliminate the memory as an issue, I think there's a memory test you can run off of the Win 7 dvd. Thou it would be better if you could run memtest.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

What kind of temps are being reported in your bios? Not just your cpu, all of them. And look at your main voltages, as in the 12v, 5v and 3.3v, are any of them low? And by how much?

The problem is more than likely the fact that your current installation of Windows was setup with your old motherboard, therefore the vital drivers to operating Windows with that hardware are non-existent. I just ran into this problem yesterday, as I just installed a new mobo and processor and wanted to boot into my old installation of Windows to grab some files before reinstall. The only way I found to do this was the old fashioned way...command prompt. I booted to the Vista DVD, than ran the command prompt and manually copied some things to my data drive, then reinstalled a fresh copy of Vista and everything worked perfectly. Hope this helps.

Did you run the memory test? Try installing windows with the cpu and memory slightly underclocked. Once you get it installed you can start adjusting things.

Did you run the memory test? Try installing windows with the cpu and memory slightly underclocked. Once you get it installed you can start adjusting things.

I did, but I only had one stick in there. Test stopped @ %58 PASS with 5:30 minutes.

*** tested other stick, stopped at Pass 30%, 2:35mins.

*** underclocked memory and cpu and now I'm back to square one, my pc won't boot.

*** BTW I'm trying to install XP Pro x64,not Windows 7. Xp freezes at the same spot every time 39-33 mins left. I've be reading that its a driver compatibility issue,also that installing in "debugging mode" fixes this. How do I enable debugging mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom