Please review (Gaming build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
So I've decided to build my PC this year seeing my old 1 has kicked the bucket which was built 4 years ago (that's a long time...i know :silent:). I'm getting help to buy the stuff from my parents as I'm not working at the moment but attending uni.

Budget: None right now, bear in mind though US$1=TT$6.40 (average).
Target: Building a system, cheap as possible, to run at least CoD4 MW2 at medium/full GFX. (Crossfire isn't necessary since I don't think I would be using it. Just picked a Crossfire ready card, in case I upgrade in the future.)
Parts not listed (already got from previous build).
Plan: Not sure if I would buy online (it costs cheaper but got no credit card right now, don't want to burn out the parent's money lol), so I'll be looking for these parts locally (hence I did not include rebates or any other discount in prices). If I do not find exact parts locally, I'll put together something as close as possible.

Processor (CPU)
Intel Core i5-750 $194.99
Newwgg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktop

Motherboard
BIOSTAR TPOWER i55 LGA 1156 $174.99
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPOWER i55 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Graphics Card (GFX/Video)
HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB $84.99
Newegg.com - HIS H467QS1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Hard Drive (HDD)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB $35.99
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Power Supply (PSU)
SILVERSTONE ELEMENT ST75EF 750W $129.99
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE ELEMENT ST75EF 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Memory (RAM)
2 x 2GB DDR3 - 1333 (already priced locally).

Or using the combo which was mentioned:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.332519

PS: Cut me some slack, haven't built a PC in like 4 years :(.

why not try to buy i7 processor?
Heard that the i5 had nearly the same performance as the i7 and also cheaper. Seen below.
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1774282 said:
Go with the i5 750 x 1156, save yourself the money for near equal performance.

I've seen many reviews and build plans of both the i7 and i5

The i5 should be fine for your needs.

Yeah I recently put a i5 with a 5770 together for a customer and it was real close to the performance on the machine in my sig.

And less expensive.

the i5 750 is better since its a quad core and just clocked lower, so you could overclock it if you're into that.

I would only recommend the i5 if you're going to get the 750... in that case its pretty solid.

The 750 outperforms the 650.
Get the 750.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
I recommend this combo for the cpu/motherboard.
(Gigabyte is a very good motherboard brand.)

Use the money you'll save to purchase a 5770 instead of that 4670, the 5770 dominates over the 4670.

HDD: I suggest finding a caviar black, or spinpoint f3 for optimum performance, but w/e floats your boat.
A 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 is only $55 with free shipping.
Only about $20 more? For 420Gb more?
Use your brain. :p

That PSU is WAAAAAAAAAAY Overpowered for your system.
An Antec Neo 520w or OCZ ModXStream 500w would tithe you over, even if you did Crossfire in the future.

what is it that you will be doing that will require 8gigs of ram? i think you would be fine with just 4gigs + youll save money.

the i5 750 is better since its a quad core and just clocked lower, so you could overclock it if you're into that.

I would only recommend the i5 if you're going to get the 750... in that case its pretty solid.
Ah okie, thanks :). I'll check it out :).
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1774763 said:
Get the 750.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Use the money you'll save to purchase a 5770 instead of that 4670, the 5770 dominates over the 4670.

HDD: I suggest finding a caviar black, or spinpoint f3 for optimum performance, but w/e floats your boat.

An Antec Neo 520w or OCZ ModXStream 500w would tithe you over, even if you did Crossfire in the future.
Thanks for all the input, also about the HDD, already got a 200 Sata here from a previous build so was just buying the 80GB for OS/Programs use lol. Ah okie, thought I'd just buy a big PSU in case of upgrading later, but I'll go down a bit and save some cash then :).
what is it that you will be doing that will require 8gigs of ram? i think you would be fine with just 4gigs + youll save money.

Hmm guess 4GB it is then, will it run the game smoothly though?

@Everyone: Overall though, system seems pretty ok?

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1774763 said:
Get the 750.

Do you know that both of the power supplies that you recommend are not big enough to crossfire 2 4670 cards, if he decides to get that card......that card requires 550 watt to crossfire...according to the cards manufacturer and if he would get a 5770 it would go up to 600 watt recommende to crossfire that card........just hate to tell someone they can crossfire something with a power supply that is not recommended to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom