Computer boots up but doesn't respond at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Tonight I restarted my computer and that is when things went wrong. When I got to the desktop I could see my desktop just fine but the computer is completely frozen. The mouse doesn't respond, the keyboard doesn't respond and one other odd thing is when it boots up the little network icon at the bottom that shows if you are connected or not spins for awhile and then I see a red X over the network icon.

So I rebooted went into bios and reset everything to stock, I was overclocked for as long as I can remember, a year now?

Any way that didn't help. I tried to go back to overclocked settings and failed to boot. I had to reset CHMOS on mobo to get the settings back to default.

Any ideas? Is my RAM fried? I did try to take out two sticks and left two in. Nothing, I then swapped out the sticks I took out for the ones that were in there. No luck. :cry:

I'm heading to bed. I'll be back tomorrow to follow up.

Thanks for the help. If you think it's my RAM I might just go buy some at fry's tomorrow during lunch.

Specs in sig are up to date...

I would possibly assumr it's a ram problem, you said when you came back your pc it was frozen but you could see the screen was active right ? I mean by getting some sort of display.
It could be a fact of a hardware or driver software conflict.
Since you also said the networking icon had a red x start by trying to disable it in windows or if it's ethernet card remove it.
Also see if you can find or by some ram and see what will happen.
I'll check back in early in the afternoon to see what you said.

Yes I tried many of time to reboot and each time it would go to the desktop but wouldn't respond. It was very odd.

The ethernet port is directly on the mobo so I can't remove it. I just think it might be showing the red X because the computer isn't running correctly...I think!

I'm going to get some RAM today. I'm also going to bring in my other RAM and see if Fry's can test it for me.

OK update.

It's not the RAM. I bought new RAM and same problem.

So I started disconnecting my usb stuff. Which my kb and mouse are both usb. Well when I unplugged those I didn't hear the sound you hear when you connect or disconnect. However some other usb connections did make the sound. So I went ahead and plugged in the kb and mouse to the slots that seemed to be working. Sure enough they did work. These are all usb connections straight from the mobo on the back of the computer. So turns out for some reason some of my usb ports no longer work. The network adpater isn't working either. I looked in network settings and it's not even showing up there.

So I have two working usb connections. The other 6 usb connections are not working (2 of which are extras I added). The network adapter isn't working either. I have no idea why this would just happen. Very odd. Hoping I can get some help in trouble shooting this.

I just did a system restore to a earlier date. No luck there.

Edit: I called Biostar. They are very easy to work with! They are going to send me a new board! They said it sounds like my Northbridge may of had some power issues.

Cool beans man thats good to hear atleast it wasn't nothing to serious like a total motherboard or cpu meltdown.
When get your board come back here or pm and tell me how it went... :)

I actually fixed it. It wasn't hardware. Glad I didn't go through that whole process.

I ended up installing a OS on another HDD I have to see if the problem persisted on that new OS and hdd. Sure enough it didn't. So I went back to my w7 and slowly started rewinding any steps, apps, installs, updates, etc. Finally got it back to working order.

There is a few things I did that I think one of them might have been the reason for the issue. Long story, but it has to do with changing my host file to sign a firmware for me on Cydia which is like the Appstore for iphones that are jailbroken....if you know anything about that. But that is just a guess.

Feels good to be back on this computer....my baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom