*The Official Tech-Forums Super Pi 1M Rankings*

Re: Tech Forums Official SuperPi 1M Top List

I heard memory frequency and timings helps more in the 32M runs, but I've seen marginal gains in 1M, so eh.

I get almost a 2 second gain from 337Mhz to 433Mhz, so depending on how much the ram is stepped it, you could possibly see a significant improvement.

(These are not for "official" times, just showing)

Second.png

First.png

Well yeah, that's a pretty significant gain on the frequency. I meant more in incremental gains, like upping your FSB by 1 or 2. That won't help too much.

Believe me, I know how massive gains can help, why do you think I was using such a high fsb on my overclock? ;)

Well, looks like I've killed my board.

Yesterday night I was going to try improving my time (night = colder), and after changing the BIOS settings it refused to POST (even after several attempts to reset BIOS, change RAM and PCI-E cards)

I'm certain it's the board and not the CPU, because it's sometimes refused to POST before, and changing the PCI-E or RAM around and/or a BIOS reset has made it work.
But not this time.

I'd say it's probably due to giving 1.3V to the Northbridge (790X chipset)

*edit*
RAM speed will have more of an affect on your time if it can't fit all the data in your CPU's cache.
Your 5200+ has 512KB L2 cache per core, which won't be enough to fit all the data for a Superpi 1M run.
Most K10 chips have 2MB or 6MB L3 cache, so RAM will have much less effect except in larger runs. But Northbridge speed will have an effect (L3 cache runs at northbridge speed)

Ouch

It costs to be at the top. Both the Intel and AMD leaders have killed boards.

Expensive...

Also, my 965BE works quite nicely at 4GHZ

*edit*
Seeing as how the 890FX boards aren't out yet, I might just get another MA790X-UD4P until then.

^haha, indeed. My GA-P35-DS3L was hit with an epic amount of fail style overclocking when I first started. Now it won't overclock even a single megahurtz :p

I went to get another MA790X-UDP, they didn't have any.
So I got an Asus M4A79XTD Evo instead for $153 (which is AM3). It looks nicer in my case than the 790X-UD4P (black + blue instead of blue/orange/red).

Now I need to buy some DDR3 to go with it. Problem is I don't have enough money.
And trying to sell things on OCAU is a pain, everybody tries to get things for less than half the price it costs new (I got offered $70 for my 8GB DDR2-1066, when it costs about $220-240 new)

DDR3 costs are $135-$150 for 4GB DDR3-1600 (depending on timings) and $170 or more for 4GB DDR3-2000

Back
Top Bottom