Advice for my first time build please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steves85

Baseband Member
Hi my name is steve and i just joined this great site. I am very tech savy although i have never built my own pc before. Well the time has come and I have researched almost every area and need a few opinions from professionals.
Uses: Games, adobe ps, flash cs4, dreamweaver, web browsing, music, dvd copying.
I must admit i dont play high end games like far cry or mw2 on the pc as i have a xbox 360 and hdtv for that. However since im building from scratch i figure why not have the option there.

Heres my start list:
CASE Cooler Master Centurion 5 II
PSU CoolerMaster*850W Silent Pro
MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3h P55
CPU Intel i5 750
MEMORY 2x 2gb corsair/kingston
FANS 2x ac12025l fans
HDD Western Digital 500gb 32mb cache ncq
VIDEO CARD Geforce 9800GT
DVD DRIVE asus drw22 b2st sata
Windows 7 Home premium
Monitor undecided as yet.

Now my questions:
1. In terms of ram, which is better for me performance wise. S/S or D/S

2. Reading other posts my PSU looks extremely high considering im not looking for the ultimate gaming machine yet.

3. Would the stock CPU cooler be adequate for my setup with the i5 750, or do i need to look into other cooling pieces.

I would like everyones opinion as i want as much info on this as possible. Im from Australia so some of my components are rather limited, and i dont think ordering from overseas would work out very cost effective.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I feel this setup will allow me to upgrade in the future as my current pc is maxed out.

2. Yes, it is very high; with your setup 500W will be plenty.

3. It will be fine unless you want to overclock the CPU.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1774296 said:
The "professionals" you asked didn't seem to help you very much, eh?
9800 GT...
WD 500Gb HDD
850w Cooler Master PSU

???
Who suggested that stuff?

Well the 850w is what a psu calculator gave me with the system. I thought i was rather high also. I know the graphics card is not top of the range, but im not too familiar with good brands of hd so if you have a few favourites can you please suggest them.

As for s/s or d/s, single side or double side ram? I have read conflicting stories on which is better.

Thanks

Well the 850w is what a psu calculator gave me with the system. I thought i was rather high also. I know the graphics card is not top of the range, but im not too familiar with good brands of hd so if you have a few favourites can you please suggest them.

As for s/s or d/s, single side or double side ram? I have read conflicting stories on which is better.

Thanks

Yes, It greatly deepens on the mem module. And what mobo you are using. But generally double sided is better.

As far as graphics go I say, if you can find one, go for a HD 5750.

Thanks Phil, i am looking at a HD5770 and it says it supports pci-e 2.1. This is a rather newb question but does will it still work with pci-e 2.0, just slower????

I wouldn't worry about it.
as time pass,
engineers figure out to to produce higher capacity memory chips while staying at the same size.
so the higher capacity per chip, less chip is needed to make a X GB memory module.

basic:
one story building takes up 2,000 sq ft. vs 2 story build that takes up the same 2,000 sq ft.
more stories per building, less land is needed to house people.

advanced:
think of hard drives, few years back they had to use multiple platters to make a single 500GB hard drive.
now days, we have single platter 500GB hard drives
higher density platters, less platters needed to make a high capacity hard drive.

so how does it affect you, the consumer?
nothing, it will perform as specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom