Mobo Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
Haven't build a PC in...lets say 4 years :umm:. So I'm in the urge to build one this year since I'm tired of the laptop and it's limitations :(.

My question is how do you know if a motherboard supports SLI/Crossfire...or all do? Is it anyway dependent on the motherboard or just the GFX card itself?

Excuse me for my n00b question :(, I'm now getting back into the building thing lol and yes I want to build a gaming machine :p.

Also looking at this board (Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards) as a "template" to know what too look for at the moment, so it isn't my final decision.

Technology has increased a lot in 4 years, so I've got a lot to catch up on lol.

Edit: Reviews on the board seems low, so it's only used as a template for now, in all the specs it contains.

Almost every X58 chipset (skt 1366, i7 9XX) board supports both crossfire and sli.
Knowing what chipset the board has will tell you what it will support.
You can always check the specs on newegg or from the manufacturer to determine what it supports.

First things first. What is your budget? From that decide what cpu you want to run. Then we can start worrying about what board you want.

Hmm well I gotta go out and check all the retail stores around here and see what they got :p. Budget ain't really an issue of the sort at the moment, I'm working without one right now. Just want to sort out what kind of PC I would like to build (somewhere ranging between Mid-High Gaming, that may not have to upgrade in say 2 years).

As said before budget isn't an issue, bear in mind though US $1 = TT $6 on average. After I find out the parts on average, I'll sort with my parents with the budget (yeah they're helping me since I'm attending uni and not currently working) and may be just lower the parts to suit.

For the range of machine you are looking at your only real choices are from highest price to lowest:
i7 skt 1336
i5 skt 1156
PII skt AM3

Yeah I recently put a i5 with a 5770 together for a customer and it was real close to the performance on the machine in my sig.

And less expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom