New graphics card for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnorsky

Beta member
Hi, My graphics card (9800GTX+) recently died and I need to get a new card..

I play many PC games such as Crysis and Mass Effect 2 and so on.. one game I haven't been able to comfortably play without it looking too bad with the 9800GTX+ has been entropia universe, which I can max with low framerates, except for the AA which I can only pull 8XAA, and not 8XAAQ -16XAAQ.

I'm guessing I need a card with at least 1GB onboard memory for the strenuous AA? and something more powerful than the 9800GTX+, as i want to completly max out all of my games including EU, with plenty of room to spare (for example if I wanted to use FRAPS without any slowdown...) The 9800GTX+ usually gave me around 15-60 FPS in most newer games.. which isn't too good imo..

I don't know much about the latest graphics cards and what is coming out... Like for example the newer games running the Cry Engine 3, DirectX 11 that are coming out I would want to be able to play maxed flawlessly... if I am going to spend upwards of ~$350 for a graphics card... If I got a GTX285 or something high up on the chain like that, is it powerful enough to last through those games with maxed settings? I just don't like when I get a card and have to go without a lot of game settings because it is too slow.. I've always prefered Nvidia cards over ATI, mostly because I don't know anything about ATI cards... My motherboard only supports Crossfire.

It seems like I'd have to get an ATI card, as they seem to be the only ones with DirectX 11 capability from 57XX and up.. Will having a card that is DirectX 11 certified give higher FPS and therefore last longer?

I had my card overclocked slightly, but it didn't die for that reason.. that I am aware of. I moved recently and I think the moisture killed it. I did test my pc with an old card and it worked, so apparently it is the card that is the problem.

I have a BFG 280 GTX Overclocked "X" Edition. Amazing card, runs every game on maxed out settings right now but the problem is, it doesn't support DirectX 11 (As you said, only ATi cards have DX11 Support) and new games coming out like Bad Company 2, Crysis 2 ...etc with DX11, I won't get to see the complete sexiness with my card.

With that being said, since your budget is ~$350 ...

I would see if you could afford a bit more and get the ATi 5870:
Newegg.com - HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Ranked #3 on the Graphics Performance List on Tech-Forums

or I would get the 5850 which is a bit below your budget
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Ranked #5 on the Graphics Performance List on Tech-Forums

For the price, and what you get with it .. I truly feel ATi is the way to go at the moment, and that's coming from a die-hard nvidia fan.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/

I'll have to look at some 5870 benchmarks... My budget is actually $600 but I don't feel comfortable spending too much on a graphics card at this point. It looks like I'm going to get an ATI card.. I guess I have some reading to do.. I know nothing about ATI cards..

I might end up sticking with ATI from now on seeing as Nvidia doesn't seem to adapt to new updates and were refusing to adopt DirectX 10.1 in time or urging game devs to remove DirectX 10.1 from PC game Assassin's Creed to avoid rival ATI's DirectX 10.1 advantages, and are stating that DirectX 11 doesn't matter, when they should adapt to changes better, instead of just providing higher clock speeds to older cards to compete with ATI.. ATI also has much better price/performance than Nvidia. Thats how I see it anyway..

I just bought an ATI Radeon 5870 and love it buy that card for sure. over clocked safely i can get 890MHz (GPU clock) and 1205MHz (memory clock) And i believe that it will go a lot higher than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom