Laptop screws the network when turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I've been working on a laptop for someone. I cleaned it up and updated it, yada, yada, yada. One of the problems I was told it was having was that IE wouldn't connect a lot of the time and that it wouldn't let her get on the internet.

Once I had done everything to it, I found that she was right. I couldn't find anything wrong with IE, and went through several things to try to see what it might be. I did not uninstall/reinstall it, but I did try to install over it (Vista wouldn't allow it as the updated version on the laptop was newer than the downloaded version).

Once a hunch, I just fired the lappy back up to try it. I was finishing up a post on here at the same time. When I went to submit the post, it said that I wasn't connected to the server. I hit try again and resend about four times, nada. So I opened up IE on the lappy and it couldn't connect to its homepage. My connection was working fine up to this point.

I killed IE and shut down the lappy. When I resent my post, BAM! No wait, no fuss, without a hitch.

Sooooo..... What in the world is going on here? Why would a laptop completely screw my router when it is on? The laptop is connecting wirelessly and my desktop is wired.

The laptop is running 32-bit Vista Home Premium (fully patched, btw) and IE8 (Chrome connects just fine, even when IE won't). It is a Dell Inspirion 1526. I updated all the drivers while I was working on it. It uses a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card.

My router is a Linksys WRT54G. I forget which version, but it is one of the old ones.

Anyone got any answers or ideas on this one?

Good thinking, but no dice. I reset Winsock and it had no effect on it. And it still messes up my network when it is up, or at least when IE is open.

EDIT- Chrome is having the same issues. It just told me that the link was broken when I told it to go to Google.

ICS is not turned on, but you got to to digging...

When I tell it to diagnnose the problem, it pulls up "The TCP setting is not compatible with your router." There's not much out there, but it seems to point to Vista wanting to use TCP over DHCP.

I just disabled IPv6 and am rebooting. Let's see if this does anything.

EDIT- I had a glimmer of hope, but then I got "The TCP setting is not compatible with your router" again. If I tell it to fix the problem (Turn off whatever TCP setting is incompatible), it seems to work... until it is booted again. And it is still scrambling my network while it is on/has IE open.

Not sure, Saxon. Too tired to look right now.

Got a link for that, Hefe?

I'm off to bed. If I get up early enough I will have a go at it first thing. If not, it will have to wait until I get home from taking the wife to the doctor.

If it isn't mate enable it and see if that gives you a usable connection.

try this for a start from a cmd as admin.

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

If that does not work we will fix it up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom