Sony VAIO F-Series -- Good for what I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKasprzak

Beta member
After viewing the hardware on each Mac and PC, I have come to the conclusion that I am able to get better internal hardware by buying a PC to replace my 3-year old Apple MacBook.

I also have come to the conclusion that I really enjoy the style and simplicity of the Sony VAIO. I was wondering if it contains what I need for what I will use it for. I would say this computer will be used for 45% Multimedia Editing (Adobe CS4, Photomatix), 35% Web Browsing (I use Mozilla Firefox for web, and Mozilla Thunderbird for e-mail), 10% Gaming (I have a PS3, so do not consider games like COD MW2, etc.), and 10% Music, iPod, CD/DVD/BR burning (I would burn BR's for full 1080p photography slideshows.)

Here is the stats for the Sony VAIO I want...

Sony VAIO F-Series F1190X CTO
Intel® Core™ i7-820QM processor (1.73GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit
320GB Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm)
8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU (1GB VRAM)
Blu-ray Discâ„¢ player/burner
16.4" VAIO Premium Display (1920x1080)
Keyboard Backlight

Will this work for the percentages I gave prior?

Welcome to TF.

That should be fine for your needs.

Please use the font provided, and don't center the text, thank you. :)

Yea that laptop look's fine for what you need, can I ask though why a VAIO? in my experience they tend to be awful machines that look nice and the sony support site is a mess.

Oh an MindoverMaster, he has obviously written this in a text editor and copped it over and it has kept the formatting not a big deal.

Oh an MindoverMaster, he has obviously written this in a text editor and copped it over and it has kept the formatting not a big deal.

Well, yeah. I did put onto OpenOffice Word and changed the font so I could read it, but why it was centered, no idea...

But yes, it shall suit you, but it's not the best brand to get.

I apologize for the text being off default and centered. The reason I was thinking the VAIO is because I couldn't find another brand under $2,000.00 with that processor, 8GB of ram, and a full-HD display (1920 x 1080).

If you know of another brand that I could get that has at least the 820 i7 processor and 8GB of Ram (1333) and a decent video card with full-HD, I would be interested to know.

Please let me know.

Are you in the US? Where are you getting this from?

I am indeed from the USA. Philadelphia. It was pointed out to me by a family member that I have never left my home to really use a laptop "mobile". So, I decided to try a setup for myself using a desktop. This setup came out only $200.00 more expensive then the VAIO laptop. This is an HP Desktop...

Components

* • Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
* • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-950 quad-core processor [3.00GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
* • 12GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [6 DIMMs]
* • 1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
* • 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
* • HP w2338h 23-inch 16:9 Full HD Widescreen Monitor
* • Blu-ray writer & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner
* • Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN
* • 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
* • No TV Tuner
* • Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
* • No speakers
* • HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse

If I am not mobile, would you recommend this setup?

Sony is over priced and they have no online driver support.
You can do better with a MSI or Asus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom