$500 PC build... help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

therascalking

Devious Techie
Hey everyone...

Been out of the forums for a while, but I have a new project and figured I could use some input! Better to get some ideas to start with before just diving back in and researching...
I'm rebuilding a friends computer, just modernizing it mostly, and was wondering what the best direction to go would be... I could probably sell him on about a $500 budget, not tootoo much more... It will be for general use (internet, word processing) and light/moderate gaming (mostly WoW, some Steam games) and I am ordering from the US (newegg links would be nice).
He is upgrading from a 3.0GHz P4, Asus board, 2GB of DDR-400, and an HD 2400, so just about anything would be a step in the right direction...
He wont need a monitor or peripherals, and his hard drive (a 320GB Samsung SATA one) and possibly power supply (400W Thermaltake) should be able to be reused, but the case and optical drive are junk, if you have any recommendations. Also, he is running XP Home, and is somewhat interested in Win7...
Maybe keep the parts under $500 and if he wants a new case or Win7, I can get him to go a bit over...?

I'm sure there are still about a million threads like this comin at you guys a day, so I really appreciate the help... Any more info needed, just ask and I'll oblige. Thanks so much!

In order to cheapen that up to fit a copy of Windows 7 with it, you could change the CPU to an Athlon II X2 240
You could change the graphics card to a 4850.
That would free up $100
That would leave you enough money to purchase an OS I think.

Good luck.

outstanding - those were alot of the same parts i was looking at putting in already. good ideas, good ideas.
anyone else have suggestions or critiques? thanks! :D

edit: also, would 400W be enough to power all that, you think? o_O

I support that Asrock motherboard Muffin Man is suggesting due to the second PCI-E x16 Slot + the 4 RAM slots
While it is a slightly weaker build than the one I posted, it include an operating system, and a reliable PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom