Upgrading Dell 2400 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am trying to help out a family member upgrading her video card. She has a Dell 2400 which I assume has PCI slots. I have looked at a few cards like a Nvidia 8400GS. My concern is the PSU.

Would a Dell 2400 PSU be able to handle a card like that? Do all Dell 2400's have the same PSU? If they do, my dad has a Dell 2400 so I could look at his find out what it is.

The only thing she wants a video card for is she wants to play a card game and it will not play on intergrated graphics for whatever reason. It gives some kind of directx error, don't remember the exact error.

if you buy a atx power supply for a dell you will need one of these adapters.
Adapter for Dell Power Supply

look at the graphics cards at newegg. under specs it usually lists the power supply requirements.

you should open that computer up first. or try googling the motherboard specs. from what i found the AGP slot was not installed on that computer ???

Would a ATI 9250 work without buying a new PSU?

Do I have to buy a certain kind of PSU? I would imagine not just any PSU would work because of size, space needed. For example, I don't imagine a Corsair 850 watt would fit, it would barely fit in my case.

How much roughly would one cost and which one would you suggest?

Sorry for double posting since I can't edit my last post. Would a OCZ GameXStream 700 watt PSU work? If not, what kind would I need?

Okay thanks. I know the 700 watt would be overkill but I have one that is just lying around so I thought I use that. I may consider the Corsair 400 watt.

Would I be able to get that adapter anywhere else like Newegg? I just don't like giving my information to another website unless I have too.

try using google to find out more on replacing your power supply. i got different pages saying some desktops use regular ATX and some just need to switch two wires and some have different voltage levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom