Looking for some bios help

Status
Not open for further replies.
What OS do you have? I don't think this should matter, though. BIOS is BIOS, no matter what OS is running.
I think he meant updating it with the software through windows because it wasn't installing on his 64bit.
ya, that's why i'm thinking of using a fresh copy of xp 32, because the flash utility that would be the preferred way to do it won't install on my os

Just off the top of my head...

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

Have you tried running it as admin?

Have you tried burning it to a CD (it is a .bin file, after all)?

Have you tried mounting it on your hard drive (with something like Gizmo) and running it from there?

ya, that's why i'm thinking of using a fresh copy of xp 32, because the flash utility that would be the preferred way to do it won't install on my os
Well It's an option but that's a lot of hassle to go through. If you're not in a hurry, you can leave the thread open for more suggestions/opinions and see what others got to say. Sorry couldn't be of much help, ran out of my resources :(.

Edit: Seems like we got ourselves a visitor...here comes Trotter!

Just off the top of my head...

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

Have you tried running it as admin?

Have you tried burning it to a CD (it is a .bin file, after all)?

Have you tried mounting it on your hard drive (with something like Gizmo) and running it from there?
I tried running it as admin, i got the same 64 bit issue, and i tried running it in compatibility mode, and it just sat there and did nothing. I haven't tried burning it to a CD, it is a .bin file, and i don't know how to mount it to my hard drive

I've flashed my BIOS on an ASUS P5N-E before, which is very similar to the P5N-D and my OS was W7 64bit. So hopefully I can help.

Here are the steps I took to flash my BIOS using the board's EZ flash utility within the BIOS:

1. First download the latest BIOS file (1204.BIN) and unzip it to "My Documents" for example. Do not rename the file by the way. Just leave it as is.

2. Then format your USB drive using the FAT32 file system. Should be default anyway but check to make sure. Pay attention to the letter assigned to the USB drive. For example, C: for the OS, A: for the floppy, and another letter for your USB drive. Mine for example was assigned J:

3. Then place the 1204.BIN file in the USB drive.

4. With the USB drive still plugged in, restart your computer and get into the BIOS.

5. Navigate to the Tools section and select EZ-Flash 2.

6. When you're in the EZ-Flash 2 window, select the USB drive (remember when I told you to pay attention to the letter assigned to the USB drive? Look for that.) And the 1204.BIN file should show up. Select it, press enter and the EZ Flash utility should take it from there.

Should take a couple minutes (you'll see the progress bar go up and down a few times, it's normal), and as always, never restart or turn off the computer while it's going through it's updating process. It should actually restart the computer itself when the utility has finished flashing/updating the BIOS.

If you have any questions on any of the steps, please feel free to ask.

roweder said:
I couldn't get it to do squat, I had all of the hard drives un plugged, so that only the flash drive would be available
I don't think that's necessary. I didn't have to do that when flashing my BIOS.

*edit*
I just noticed that joelm posted almost the same instructions regarding the EZ Flash utility. I guess I kinda simplified it. But this is what worked for me.

Thank you! I just noticed that you said you left the drive plugged in while the computer restarted, I don't think i did that, and i didn't restart, i just powered down and pushed the power button

Ok, i tried that, the bios was in F: but only A: and C: showed up in the directory, I think i heard somebody somewhere say something about putting the BIN file on their C: drive, not in any folders, only in C, i think i'll try that

Didn't work, Here's a picture, I hit enter and it said loading directory, but then went back to what you see here with absolutely nothing more, this p.o.s. is ****ing me off, it won't do anything

DSCN6059.jpg

roweder said:
Ok, i tried that, the bios was in F: but only A: and C: showed up in the directory, I think i heard somebody somewhere say something about putting the BIN file on their C: drive, not in any folders, only in C, i think i'll try that

What did you mean that the BIOS was in F:? You mean that the USB drive was assigned the drive letter F:, but did not show up in the EZ Flash window?

I think I've read about that too, placing the BIOS file in the C:/ drive alone. That could work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

What did you mean that the BIOS was in F:? You mean that the USB drive was assigned the drive letter F:, but did not show up in the EZ Flash window?

I think I've read about that too, placing the BIOS file in the C:/ drive alone. That could work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

yea, the usb was labled letter F, it didn't work, i think i'm gonna go with the put xp 32 bit on a random hard drive and install the utility asus provides method and see if that works.

*edit*
Now I'm installing xp, and it re-booted and now says press any key to boot from cd, but when I press any key, it doesn't do anything. I'm posting this on my iPod touch, I can't believe that doing this simple thong is taking so long and causing so much greif

When did it specifically reboot?...because after the CD has finished formatting the hard drive and copying the files it reboots automatically. At that point you don't press a key when it ask you to "press any key to boot from cd". Just leave the keyboard alone when you see that message, because it will continue on with the installation of the OS by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom