what components for i7 920 build @4ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll prob get the termalright ultra extreme if its better...i see it comes with a fan already...i want to do the push/pull setup so i'll also get the silverstone fan..does one have more volume than other? so i can use that one as the intake side?....does the silverstone come with a mounting clip?
btw which case do you recommend ?

The True has a fan but if you want to do a push-pull you should order this True without a fan and then order (2) of the same fans. You can order an additional Fan Bracket with the Heatsink.

fanbracket.jpg

(The picture shows a fan but it doesn't come with one)
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev C. CPU Heatsink - (Socket LGA 1366 / 1156** / 775 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / Xeon**) - FrozenCPU.com

Don't forget, you should lap the true.

As for the case, I like Lian-Li or Cooler Master. What kind of a budget do you have for a case?

Instead of making another thread, I figure I'll ask here....

What do you guys think of this?
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Not for crazy overclocking, but maybe getting the i7 920 to a 3.2Ghz ? Says it works for the i7 and has a lot of reviews. I figure for the low price, it isn't the best to overclock the 920 to heck, but you think it's good enough to be capable of getting me to 3.2Ghz?

----
After reading some reviews, it seems it's mixed. I'd say 4/5 i7 users tend to like it while 1/5 have no success with it. I may give it a try. I'm not looking to spend $70+ on a heatsink for the little overclocking I want to do. Anyone have any other "budget" but effective heatsinks?

slaymate thanks for the info...
hey should i get 2x silverstones for push/pull setup?
do you think i will need a fan for the ram memory for this setup?

slam'n,
best budget i7 cooler no problem hitting 3.4:
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
need mounting kit
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket Set - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

eagle,
for 4ghz I would want a push/pull setup.
Most likely you would end up around 200 bclk x 20 for 4.0 then you would use a x8 multi for your ram running it at rated speeds of 1600. With no ram oc you should be fine without a ram fan. Although I run the corsair fan on mine and it looks cool.

Memory fans, with a good case and proper wire management they won't be necessary.

I vote yes to the (2) Silverstone fans in a push-pull :D

I painted my fans :D
pushpull.jpg

These are both nice mid-size cases from Cooler Master.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced Black Steel body / Plastic + Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

This Cooler Master case is slightly more than your budget but it's a Full Tower with Excellent Ventilation.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

This is a nice mid-size Antec case.
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

This is a nice Full-Tower Antec case. It's just over your budget.
Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom