Adding an SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

beherenow71

Baseband Member
I bought an OCZ Agility off newegg yesterday and I'm trying to find some info for installing it before I get it. I know how to install an HD but I've never had a system with 2 before(and never an ssd.) Can anyone give me some instructions or maybe a link to an article about setting it up? Also, this drive does not come with the bracket to mount it in a 3.5 bay, but my case has plastic trays that slide out for hd's, can I put it in one of those without problem? It will fit in there but not be tight or locked down, just sitting. Is there any easy way to get my OS over to the ssd?

Thanks
(I'll probably have more questions but that's all I could think of now.)

you need to make sure it has firmware version 1.4, which has TRIM support for Windows 7.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_(SSD_command)

Most drives come with FW 1.4 pre-installed now but it's easy to check, sort of. You burn the FW 1.4 .iso to a disc and then boot from it. The utility will tell you what FW version is presently installed, if it already has 1.4 just exit out, if it has the older 1.3 then proceed with the flash.

General Discussion FW 1.4 Series VERTEX and AGILITY FW UPDATERS

note: you'll see FW 1.5 mentioned, this FW has support for Trim (Win7) and Garbage Collection (Vista/XP), I've seen a few reports of Data Corruption with this FW so it would be wise to skip it for now.

Once you have FW 1.4 you should do a Fresh Install of Windows 7. You maybe able to Ghost your old drive but I haven't tried it with a SSD. Everything I've read advises a Fresh Install.

After Windows 7 is installed you should run the SSD Tweaker.
SSD Tweak Utility download from Guru3D.com

Edit: Make sure your SSD is hooked to SATA port 1.

from what I've read, it seems to come with firmware 1.5 installed already.

2 questions about installing my OS:

1) will i need to de-activate windows on my current HD to be able to install it on the new ssd? How do I do that?

2)My version of windows 7 is a student copy. It is an upgrade but someone was able to "trick" it into thinking its a full version, do you know how I can do that? Or a link to instructions?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom