• Nice build! way to go!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good enough for now.

• Its alright i guess.

• Could use some work.

• It absolutely sucks just go jump of a cliff and stop attempting the build a computer.

• Other. (if you chose other please post why)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yes the motherboard thing.
I just noticed the Gigabyte motherboard has a PCI-E 4x slot that isn't specified to conform to 2.0, where as the Asrock does.
Also the Asrock is cheaper, (Did you mean to say Asus in your last post? Because the mobo you have selected is an Asrock mobo.)

The Rosewill Blackbone has enough fans for overclocking.
One thing I learned about cases though, it's not necessarily the number of fans that makes for good air flow/overclocking though.
It's having negative air pressure, and a direct flow from bottom to top.
You want air to come in through the bottom of the front of the case, and exhaust out the top of the back, because cold air is lower to the floor, and heat rises, this maximizes the cold air you take in, and the heat that your case will push out.

Also, to obtain negative air pressure something that some case manufacturers do, (Lian Li has done this) is to have a larger fan with more CFM as an exhaust fan, and a smaller fan as an intake fan.
Like a 120mm for exhaust and a 80-100mm for intake.
This results in more negative air pressure in your case, as more air is attempting to leave your case, than what is getting in.
The Rosewill Blackbone comes with two 120mm fans and they are oriented for proper airflow in terms of intake low front, exhaust high back, but one of the things I don't like about the blackbone is the large holes on the side panel. (Air pressure could be maintained better if those holes weren't there)
You can however mount fans on the side panel, as this is what it allows for.
Anyway, you should overclock quite easily as the i3 530 is not natively a hot chip, and if you seat the HSF properly, you shouldn't have heat problems at all.
The Rosewill Blackbone is good for overclocking as is, but if you feel the need you could add some 10$ fans later, and it would still be cheaper than your Antec 300 for $66 (o).(O)
(Shipping included there)

It looks good to me. That's a much wiser power supply choice :D

I'll be interested in seeing how the i3 performs :D

Edit:
Negative air pressure is highly debatable. I perfer a more neutral approach. If you have a 200cfm input then you want a 200cfm output.

If you trust Asrock, stay with it, otherwise I suggest moving to Gigabyte or Asus.
I don't personally trust Asrock, but that's just because I've gotten DOA boards from them in the past and their tech support was not very helpful.
I got run through hoops until I gave up.

Imageshack - promorosewill.jpg

Also if you do/do not absolutely want to go with Intel for your build, this is a very solid build with similar specs to yours, but going with AMD and the Phenom II X2 550 for only a little over $400
Thus letting you invest the leftover money in graphics.
Perhaps a 4850 if you want to squeeze a $100 graphics card in there now? Or you can save and wait until later.
Also, there's the possibility of being able to unlock that Phenom II X2 550 to a Phenom II X4 B50 Quad Core.
If it unlocks it may outperform the i3 530, if it doesn't unlock the i3 530 will outperform it. However, Going with the AMD build saves you $100 for similar performance and having the AM3 socket will enable you to have the upgrade path for the Phenom II X6 (Six core Phenom's) In the future, as AMD has stated they will be compatible with existing AM3 motherboards.

Also the Asus 780L in this build has integrated graphics (That are about as good or possibly better than the integrated graphics with the Intel build you made) in case you would still want to hold off on buying a graphics card.

Just something to consider AMD vs Intel for a budget build. It's a tough call.

That's an old build I made a while ago, since then the price of the RAM in that build has increased by 20$ or so, and the LG DVD burner is a better idea now.
So if you decide with the Phenom II X2 550 over the i3 530, you'll have to tweak that build a bit.

I just did some reading myself about the i3 530 and H55 motherboards in terms of dual monitor setups.
What I've read for Gigabyte's H55 motherboard is that a dual monitor setup is possible, except only one monitor will be used during BIOS and possibly boot up?
But after boot, dual monitors should be no problem.

im going to stick with intel for now.

and dual monitors during boot and bios is fine i only need both when i actually start using it.

im looking at motherboards right now and this one doesnt look bad
Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P7H55-M PRO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

it doesnt have DDR3 1600 as a memory standard should i be looking for something that does or does it not matter?
Its open box but it appears to have everything and its cheap.

Will the asus still be able to use dual monitors until i get a graphics card?

and would you rather go with the antec psu with the blackbone case or take the combo deal and get the blackbone case and the rosewill PSU?

The antec PSU has free shipping and the case has $6 shipping so total with shipping and tax it is about $112

The combo deal is $101.66 with tax and shipping

im thinking the combo deal mostly because its cheaper and the rosewill PSU has alot more continuous power and everything else is about the same.

So replace to case and PSU i have previously posted with the combo deal - Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! would that be a good idea or should i keep the antec PSU and the blackbone case?

The power supply is a major component, don't cheap out on it.

More continuous power?? Cheap power supplies often overstate their true capabilities.

Stick with the Antec.

In response to you wondering about the Asus, it's Open Box.
NEVER buy an open box motherboard.
Open box motherboards are lacking cables and accessories that you would most probably need for a fresh build.
Open box motherboards are only useful if you need a new motherboard but have everything else already, like in cases where your motherboard dies, or you want to upgrade.

Also, you did your math wrong.
The Rosewill Blackbone= about $45 with shipping
Antec Neo 520w= 60$ with free shipping
=105$
Don't know where you got 112$ from?

The choice between that or the combo is your decision, as they are both fairly decent PSUs, but I have heard failure rate and DOA rumors about Rosewill's PSUs in the past.

Here's a review of the 630w Green Series that makes it seem like not such a bad decision.
Rosewill Green Series 630 W (RG630-S12) Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

It performs to spec quite well, as long as it works and isn't DOA or failing.

For the $4 difference I'd be tempted to stick with the Antec myself though, for the longer warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom