Ram memory advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneStarr

Beta member
Hi guys,

First post in the forum, newbie here.

Basically I'm running 2gb of ram at the moment but I'm looking to upgrade to 64bit Windows 7 and I will be running a lot of memory expensive programs like photoshop, Unreal editor, maya, Virtools etc.
SO I want to have a bit more memory.

I've never upgraded my memory before, I have 2 x 1gb KVR800D2N5/1G (Kingston) DDR-2 Cards in already.

So my question is can I buy 2 more 1gb KVR800D2N5/1G to have it at 4gb or is it better to just buy a 4gb kit (2 x 2gb)?

Also Ive been looking and the 4gb kit is cheaper than buying 2 x 1gb could I have 3gb on each side making that 6gb? would that all be used on a 64bit OS? am I being excessive doing this?

feedback is appreciated...

6gb is close to excessive but if you are running cs4 it could be useful. especially since it is cheaper.

What motherboard do you have to ensure it can handle 2gb ram sticks.

I do believe that the 4 x 1gb sticks is a better setup than 2 x 2gb sticks. I was reading somewhere that it was saying that its faster to have 4 x 1gb sticks than than just the 2 x2gb because the ram can read and write faster or something since it has different slots, which I could definitely see that being true. But 6gbs of ram would def set you straight for those programs, but like Hefemeister said make sure your mobo can handle it.

not necassarily it could be dual channel and i would go 2x2 because if you ever needed to upgrade again you would be out of RAM slots and that would suck

i suggest 2 x 2gb because you must check the performance variation while upgrade.
you better provide your pc spec.
because mobo support are varied..

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated...

I Checked the Mobo, it's a MSI P35 Platinum, The spec on this site:

MSI P35 Platinum Motherboard - HotHardware

Says it can handle up to 8GB, considering its cheaper for me to get the 2x2gb 4GB kit than adding 2x1gb ram sticks to the already existing 2x1gb sticks I already have,
Would that be possible? having 1x1gb + 1x2gb on each side (x2) = 6gb all together, can you interchange ram sizes or do they all have to be the same?

Hope I'm making sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom