Is it stupid of me to be thinking about getting a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I have two laptops, currently. One is an older Mac, which can't do anything to save its life. Playing YouTube videos with ease requires the best luck in the world. It's an older model, and I've already upgraded the RAM to a gig, yet 1gb RAM and 1.2ghz PPC Processor I guess isn't enough for flash videos without providing choppy feedback.

Then I have my work laptop. Keyword, -work- laptop. Now, I do a wide range of things at work, and primarily I do mass imaging, with the use of a Linux applications. So needless to say, my bread and butter OS is installed on my work laptop - Ubuntu. I have a few songs on it, sure, but despite having my favorite OS on it as well as a couple songs and personal items, I sometimes have the desire to get my own laptop. My work laptop is relatively beefy... 250gb 7200rpm drive, a decent Core 2 Duo, and 4gb of DDR2 ram. However, like I said I do imaging on it, so that 250gb space is pretty soaked up...

Being that if I were to get a new laptop, I'd be using Ubuntu on it anyway, it becomes hard for me to justify buying a new laptop. If I'd be REQUIRED to use Windows-only on it, things may be a little different. My dad recently got a nice laptop for 650... 320gb drive, 4gb DDR3 ram, 15.6'' widescreen, i3 processor, etc. VERY nice laptop.

Thing is, I'd probably be more in the 500 range, which at this point Inspiron 13+14 inch models look good.

But it begs the obvious question, is it worth dropping 425-500 on a Dell Inspiron 13 or 14 inch laptop that comes with a 250gb drive and a Pentium Dual Core? Or am I kind of lame for wanting a laptop?

Stupid is as stupid does. *slaps self*

Just about everyone I know has a desktop and a laptop. Myself included. Just look at my sig.

You are not "required" to run Windows. You can put whatever you want on it. I knew some laptops that came with Linux on it (cant remember the OS tho)

Stupid is as stupid does. *slaps self*

Just about everyone I know has a desktop and a laptop. Myself included. Just look at my sig.

You are not "required" to run Windows. You can put whatever you want on it. I knew some laptops that came with Linux on it (cant remember the OS tho)

Oh yeah. The whole Ubuntu thing isn't a big deal. I can throw Ubuntu on pretty much any PC and it'll work, so I'm not worried about that. The point is, Ubuntu is the OS I use for everything... if I HAD to use Windows only and my boss wouldn't allow me to install Ubuntu on my work laptop, I would definitely get my own laptop to have my preferred OS on it. But since I have Ubuntu on my work laptop, it's because of THAT that it makes it that much harder to justify getting a laptop.

See where I'm going now?

Not necessarily. Its like having two phones (like me and a lot of people I know). 1 phone is for business or work use, the other is for personal contacts. In your case, one is for work and the other is for personal use. You can put your movies, games, music, cellphone sync software, etc in your personal unit, while you can free up more space in your work computer by removing certain personal stuff you may have in there. Also, I would recommend you buying an external HDD (maybe something like 400gb, 500gb or 1 terabyte) and use it as a storage point for some of your past works and other stuff.

Not necessarily. Its like having two phones (like me and a lot of people I know). 1 phone is for business or work use, the other is for personal contacts. In your case, one is for work and the other is for personal use. You can put your movies, games, music, cellphone sync software, etc in your personal unit, while you can free up more space in your work computer by removing certain personal stuff you may have in there. Also, I would recommend you buying an external HDD (maybe something like 400gb, 500gb or 1 terabyte) and use it as a storage point for some of your past works and other stuff.

I already have two 160gb externals and 1 tb external. the 160s are mine, but they're convenient to use for a mixture of work stuff as well. the tb is strictly work stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom