first time overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know wahat to do in theroy but not how to do it.
rase the fsb and up the voltage?
and with ram and graphics is it just pump in more power?

Incrementally raise your CPU FSB and if you get instability then you'd want to up your CPU Voltage by the smallest increments until you can run prime95 without getting errors and your system isn't freezing or crashing or anything. As far as RAM goes, when it's not going to be overclocked until your FSB goes past 200, at which point you'd probably have to loosen up your RAM timing the more you push it past 200. My Valueram is 3-3-3-8 by default, say if I were to OC it I might need to put it at like 3-3-3-10 before it'd run stable. As far as the graphics card is concerned...this too gets OC'd once you get past 200FSB so you need to be able to lock your AGP Frequency at 66MHz, if you can't do this, then don't go past 200FSB because there's a good chance you can fry your card. Either you can set the AGP frequency or you'll see a CPU:AGP:pCI ratio option which in your case would be 6:2:1, the AGP:pCI ratio is always 2:1 but depending on if your FSB is 133,166, or 200 determins wether it's 4:2:1, 6:2:1, etc...

and with ram and graphics is it just pump in more power?
No, basically that's not true, you start pumping more power and your chances of frying RAM and your Graphics card raise. You're wanting to OC your CPU, not graphics card or RAM, but like I said if you have PC3200 RAM and you go past 200FSB you're going to start OC'ing your RAM anyway unless you set in the BIOS for your RAM to run at 200MHz (400MHz when considering that it's DDR for DOUBLE data rate) so in the ram you'll either see 133, 166 or 200, which is the same as 266,333, or 400. I've seen some mobos have you select 133 and then it'll show in another box the resulting frequency is 266, others just have you select 266. Hope this isn't confusing and sry if it is :D

well thanks great advice ill try it out and get back to you also where do you change the timing of your ram?

RAM timings should be under like ADVANCED BIOS OPTIONS or something to that degree. By default I believe it'll be set to By SPD, but if you can't find it, then possibly your motherboard just isn't meant for overclocking being that it doesn't have every possible option in there

See Lrr, I wasn't being mean.. I was just helping you in the learning process... I hope everything turns out alright.. and DO NOT worry if you change some settings in your bios and your computer won't restart succesfully. Open up your case and remove the battery that's on the mobo, there should be a jumper really close to that.. move it from pins 1&2 to 2&3 for a few seconds and that will reset the bios to default settings.

Do you only have to move the jumpers for a few seconds because just out of habit I always turn off the power source, unplug it, set the jumpers to 2&3, plug in the power supply, flip it on, flip it back off, unplug it, and reset the jumpers and plug it all back in....lol seems longer when you're typing the process out

k im having trouble getting my fsb to 200 mhz i managed an overclock of 2.300ghz at 184 mhz my memory is pc3200 ddr 400 but my cpu is only 333 mhz could this be the problem. to oc i go into my bios and change the external clock to 184 and change my vcore to 175 am i doing this right because on the extreme overclockers forum there all getting well over 200mz on the an7 boards pls help

damn can you believe it after crawling through different pages on google i found that my cpu ,s multiplyer may be locked so i can only use 12.5 so if i want 200 fsb id have 2500+, i think i should now wait to get some decent cooling before i go any further damn amd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom