Couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
I will be posting a build log shortly, but currently I only have two pieces of my build. I have a couple questions though.
I currently have an EVGA Classified *X58* MOBO. Will it accept/utilize to fullest potential quad channel ram?
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI+Turbulence 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL7Q-8GBPIS - Desktop Memory
and in tweaking my build and all, I'm changing my PSU, just wanted a thought. It's on the recommended list for the high end rigs. Again, just making sure I'm on track. for a reference, please visit my build at http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/extreme-build-needing-extreme-advice-220865/. I really should make an updated thread for my build. regardless, I'm looking at the Kingwin Mach 1 ABT 1220W PSU Newegg.com - KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1220MA1S 1220W ATX / BTX SLI Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies . I want to replace as much as I can with red on it but it's my favorite for the modular design. This is after hours or researching and checking things. will it pull through for the overclock I'm going to be looking for with the I7 Bloomfield, in addition to pushing 2x 260 *hopefully upgraded to FERNIE'S!* and one phys-x card?

There is no such thing as Quad Channel Memory.

The X58 Chipset works with Triple Channel Memory. Look for a 6GB (3x2GB) or a 12GB (6x2GB) memory kit. If your planning on overclocking I recommend getting a 6GB (3x2GB) kit of DDR3 1600.

You don't need that big of a Power Supply. You should look at the Corsair 850 watt unit if you just want to have some extra power.

the RAM I have listed states it is quad channel... look at the specifications, down to Multi Channel Kits... listed as quad. and I'm getting that PSU based off what I am building... 2 top end cards in addition to a physX card, not to mention I'm going to push the system to the highest stable clock I can achieve on air, then I am getting a few items for benchies, notably the Cryo-Z. I have done lots of research for the psu end... my big question really lies in the RAM. thanks again

The RAM mat be quad, but your board and all X58 are triple. ;) You'll just have an odd stick out or have to run all four as singles instead of as a whole.

Don't buy a kingwin psu either way. Go with the corsair 850, wayy better then the kingwin, I believe amps are more important then watts anyways. Same with 12v rails, the kingwin has 6 weak rails, corsair has one very strong one. Plus corsair/seasonic make the best psu's out there, kingwin, not so much.

Also you'd want triple channel memory, so 3gb, 6gb, or 12, otherwise you end up with an odd one as trotter said. 6gb is all you really need, unless you're doing lots of video editing or possibly rendering.

EDIT: Heck even the corsair 1000hx is cheaper then kingwin....

Regardless of what it says, there is no such thing as Quad-Channel. The kit has (4) sticks of ram so it's probably just a Masterful result of Chinese to English Marketing.

Your motherboard, the Classified X58, supports Triple Channel Memory. That's as good as it gets in this period of time. You need to look for a good 6GB (3x2GB) kit of DDR3 2000 if your really serious about overclocking with a phase-change.

If you want more than 6GB then your next option would be 12GB (6x2GB) of DDR3 2000 or 1600. Personally I don't recommend going with 12GB if your planning on overclocking as populating all the memory slots makes the memory controller work harder which can affect your maximun overclock.

Looking at Newegg this is a good kit for the price, however the taller profile may cause some interference problems with some heatsink/fan combinations (you did mention air and phase).
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD - Desktop Memory

This memory looks like it has a slightly shorter profile, thou it's still taller than standard.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH - Desktop Memory

can anyone recommend a good strong PSU that is FULL modular? I saw a few seasonic ones that were almost modular that are marketed as modular. I really do not want to have to deal with wires that I will NEVER use. that's part of why I chose the MACH 1.... it's got a very strong modular design. as far as the rails go, I have yet to see anything specifying whether one +12 volt rail is better than multiple +12 volt rails. nothing definitive. all instances I've seen have been argued back, both in support of multiple rails and single rails. thus, not entirely worried about it. Thanks for the responses so far, I will be ordering this tonight

so basically I'm looking at sheer wattage, Amperage, the efficiency, and aesthetics... the kingwin has much better cable sleeving and frankly will be better for cable management... on the otherhand with the case that it's all stuffed into it may not make a difference... be routing it all in a custom deal I am building that should organize cable management very well.... thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom