Cheap + Dirty NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
So, I'm looking into setting up a NAS. I have one 1.5tb hard drive already, and was going to buy another identical one.

I was hoping to avoid buying another desktop computer or a ready-made solution. Right now my desktop is starting to get old but still has enough power to last me for while. However, before too much longer (next year at this time, maybe) I might upgrade to a new computer and then change this one into a media center / storage computer and I really don't need another one.

Right now, I have an old Pentium 3 (866mhz) collecting dust up in the attic. I was hoping to buy this SATA adapter and mount the two 1.5tb hard drives inside it, with the current 40gb IDE drive holding the OS and any programs I need running in the background.

Everything in it should be powerful enough - the current power supply likely isn't but I have an extra 350W Antec lying around which will give enough of a boost. I'm thinking that any speed hit from using a PCI interface should be unnoticeable compared to the ethernet (all my computers are 10/100) or the processor speed.

Are there any other problems I might encounter from this?

This will only be a temporary solution until I get a new desktop and can delegate my current one as a media center / server.

Thanks, I'll definitely try that out.

I'm still kind of leery about the hardware aspect. Has anyone run a NAS with similar specs, or used a SATA card, and would be willing to note any problems they had?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom