How important is it that i backup before installing SP2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well for those of you out there who have installed it u dont need to freak out, ive had it for a few weeks and havent had anything significant or that i can blame sp2 for. (i installed it trying to solve some hard drive driver problems) I spose it depends on your setup. im not saying i know a whole lot, but i did install it and if you installed it or for some reason or you need it, its not GOING to f up your system necessarily. but we all have our own experiences, however it does seem like you should give these updates some time if you dont need it.

amd64 3200+
ati 9800xt
maxtor 250gb 8mbC
maxtor sata 160
soyo k8usa
pioneer dvr 107D
corsair 512mb pc3200
audigy2zs platinum
dell 2001fp 20" lcd

If you do this and don't download free music or Real One Player (it has more holes than swiss cheese).
you won't need sp2

if you must download from filesharing programs, get you a dummy computer that you don't care if it get a virus or spyware

If SP2 sounds Good for 1 person out of 100 that doesnt mean sp2 is good and it does not depend on the setup or anything i feel that the 99 peoples's say is much more valid that 1 Person

dude im just sayin "it would definately screw ur system, Kevz" is not necessarily true. im just throwin it out there as my experience, nothin else. cause it seemed like a there was a lot of "this happened to my friend" stuff. i dont like ms either, and like i said if you dont need it then dont install it yet.

Dude Lets Not Talk Bout all this coz everyone knows what the experience is like
and one more thing take my word that once something bad happens then dont repent coz everyone hear had told u the fact and your the only only who cannot bear the facts andyways there is a saying Reality bites,Truth Hurts

Man...there's a lot of horse hokey going around in here!
:confused:

Here's a couple tips about SP2
-------------------------------------------------------
1. Watch out for the bandwagons.

2. You should ALWAYS backup your important files before doing a major update. It doesn't matter what OS you're using. Backing up your important files is just intelligent.

3. If you have old hardware/software, you should know that the day will come when it is no longer compatable.

4. In the little hack-job/dell-crap world, genuine SP2 horror stories are relatively common. In the "real" world, the number of systems and end-user computers who have upgraded to SP2 with success, FAR outweighs the number that have failed.

5. There is no test for new software like a public-release test.

6. Paranoia is good. Letting your paranoia control you is bad.

7. "When in doubt...read the fk'n manual." MS offers tons of information about SP2 on their website, not to mention the wealth of knowledge found on the web. If you're concerned about your graphics card or mobo or whatever, spend a little time figuring things out. Call/Write the manufacturer and ask them if the hardware you have works with SP2. In most cases, the response will be "yes," or "Yes, with this update." In other cases, you'll get "We have a patch for our hardware for SP2." In rare cases, you'll get "The hardware is not compatable." At which point you'll know what to expect...so you won't have to flip out or dive-in and get scr3wed. Looking before you leap has always been good thinking.

8. If you don't know what you're doing...figure out what you're doing.

9. It's not Microsoft's fault if you didn't do a backup and SP2 messed something up.

10. It's not Microsoft's fault if your machine is too out of date for SP2.

11. It's not Microsoft's fault if the manufacturer of your hardware never got around to keeping tabs with Microsoft's development crew, as it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure that the manufacturer is up to date, not the other way around.

12. It's not Microsoft's fault if you're an idiot.

13. SP2 has an effective but tad-annoying antivirus feature. If you already use an AV program, you can turn off SP2's AV easily.

14. SP2 has a great firewall feature.

15. SP2 fixes many of the security holes people have been complaining about in SP1. Want them fixed? Gotta upgrade. It's not a new concept.

16. If you don't upgrade to SP2, you won't be able to upgrade much longer.

17. Many of the problems SP2 brings up, are fixable.

18. If you have problems with SP2, ask for help. Don't just run away or get runover by a bandwagon.

19. Microsoft runs 85%+ of the world's PCs. If it is true that SP2 is as devistating and terrible as everyone makes it out to be, and it "kills every machine that runs it", Why would Microsoft release and enforce an update that would kill off their entire user market?

20. If personal experience speaks anything to you, I've installed SP2 successfully and happily on over 30 machines at work, and all of my machines at home.

Just a few reasons to try SP2 and move on...

If you're not in the middle of some mission-critical project, and you've backed-up your important files...update to SP2. If you run into problems, we can help. If you find a so called "fatal" problem, you can reinstall to SP1. your world isn't going to shatter, and SP2 isn't the nuclear bomb people make it out to be.

guys, chill out, this is an opinionate forum, there's gonna be different thoughts about like everything.

if you look at microsoft's history

wait for awhile before you install a big release

this same thing happen with sp1 (maybe not as bad)

the biggest problem is

microsoft want to keep spying on you

so there is always going to be way to get into xp (everybody (hackers) goes into microsoft's back doors, the ones that they leave open on purpose)

microsoft could make a bulletproof OS, but this is the 2000 era, where we have priviledges, not rights (at least here in the US) and the priviledge rule

and they are always going to want to keep track of us

that is why I will never install SP2 (too much HOMEMADE SPYWARE)

Every time Microsoft releases an update, it's "The end of the world," and "We're all going to die!" and "This is the end of Windows!" and all that bullshyt comes out.

Then everyone calms down.
They solve their problems, get answers, be patient for fixes to problems...
And everything is fine again...

Then a new release comes out...and it's "We're all going to die!" again...

People thought 98SE was the end of Windows, for crying out loud. Windows didn't fail then, and it ain't going to fail now.

I keep hearing people say "look at Microsoft's history" and all I can think is, yeah, look at the history...and they're still here. PCs as we know them didn't get wiped off the face of the planet. No one died. Microsoft didn't plumit to the depths of anti-userdome from lost users, and it certainly ain't the end of Windows!

If time has taught us anything, it's taught us that we'll make it through this release too! :mad:

And if yer that freaking paranoid that MS is helping the hackers that are trying to destroy them...get another freaking firewall and block things yourself!

There's only a couple thousand ports left and right...If you hurry, you can close them all, open the ones you need, and then chew on your fingers while spyware and viruses come in through your legit ports and have a party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom