First OC Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
So finally after getting the right motherboard and getting rid of a hair that made my computer not POST I finally got to play with my new 35w 2400+ XP-M and abit motherboard. I only wanted to reach 200FSB so I could finally run my PC3200 ram at a 1:1 ratio with the CPU so I haven't tried REALLY pushing the chip or anything at this point but I'm pretty sure I got some head room. So here's my specs!

11.5x200 = 2.3GHz
1.525 Vcore
Idle Temp: 30C
IQYHA Stepping

I don't have a LOAD temp yet because I haven't run prime95 yet but I'm going to here in about 5 mins then i'll update later with load temps. I raised the vcore from it's default 1.5 to 1.525 just to give myself a little headroom, I didn't have any instabilities or anything like that as of yet, but like I said it's not prime95 tested yet.

Here's my screenshot! :D

OCSS.jpg

Well it's not prime95 stable. I start the program and about 5 seconds after it starts the program says it incurred 1 error. I've only upped the vcore by another .025 and I did the CPU torture test not the blend, so I'm pretty sure I need to raise the Vcore a little more. Would I be correct in assuming it just needs a little more juice in the vcore to NOT get that error? Thanks all :D

EDIT: I upped the vcore to 1.7 in the BIOS and in both CPU-Z and in motherboard monitor it's reading the voltage at 1.66 and that seems to be stable thus far. It's like 45 mins into the prime95 torture test and no errors :D running at 32C on full load and my fans aren't even on full blast in my case. I love this chip!

alright nubius! now sand down that heatsink ;)

In fact raising the vcore may not stablize the cpu. It may have basically reached its unstable freq. But alas, try raising the vcore a bit more. Also, doing a bunch of benchmarks helps to test the stability, more or less.. I usually run a benchmark 5 times in a row to test stability. Prime95 isn't everything. We're not crunching numbers to the 100 millionth kazillionth. good luck

Yeah I've raised it up to 1.7 and the furthest it ran was an hour and 15 mins, then I stopped the test to do something, then started it again and left it over night. It only ran 54mins before an error occurred on Test 4 - 5300 iterations of 768k FFT Length and it errored =/ It seems I've raised the vcore quite a bit, but atleast it lasts an hour now before erroring instead of within 30 seconds like it was before. I wonder if I need to knock the multi down to 11, but I really wanted that 100MHz over stock 3200+ XP :p Guess I'll tinker with it a little more and yeah I know what you mean demalii....

We're not crunching numbers to the 100 millionth kazillionth.

Heheh yeah basically, even the most intensive games nowadays are GPU based not so much CPU, so I doubt my CPU will hardly ever come across as much use as it does during prime95.

Anyone think memory could be a problem? I'm not using the test that mainly uses RAM though. I use the in-place large FFT's test, then click custom and change the max from 1024 to 4096 so it shouldn't even really be using any RAM. Thanks all

EDIT:
alright nubius! now sand down that heatsink
I've already lapped my heatsink ;)

well about 2 hours of prime95, downloading, chatting, checking e-mail all at the same time and no errors yet! At 1.75 Vcore right now to get it that way though lol :p

Man I still need to get pictures up, I'm so sorry ag3 I told you I'd have those picture like last week! Bah! Anyway to answer your question U-Toast, I have a lapped SLK-900A heatsink with AS5 compound, and an 80mm Tornado that's hooked to a fan controller. I have a total of 9 case fans, 2 in the PSU, and the one on my CPU for a total of 12, all controlled via a fan controller. Total load temp is 38C and all my fans are barely on lol. Tornado is halfway on and a couple of my blower fans are below halfway so I'm pleased thus far with performance and cooling :D

EDIT: For my own personal future reference, how do you just attach a picture in a thread? not sure :) but I just put the link

http://www.27thavenue.com/images/OCSS2.jpg

lol I know, I'm such a bastard, I was telling everyone about my case mod for such a long time and then I've still not got my pictures up!

EDIT: BTW I did the case mod just for fun, so it looks like a ghetto case with fans everywhere, but it still turned out pretty decent! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom