Building a NAS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hickfarm

In Runtime
I am shooting for a raid 5 NAS server to keep all my media in one place. Planning on going with 4 1 terabyte hard drives. I have an old thermaltake soprano case that i am going to shove all the stuff in. I want to go hardware raid if it cheap, but i will go software raid using some linux version if need be for the price.

I would like to get a server motherboard with ECC memory. Leaning towards a xeon. I was thinking about buying a dedicated raid card, but i am debating getting a motherboard with 6 or sata ports and just doing raid 5 from that.

well this is what i have in my cart so far.
and if i get a raid i want at least 6 ports in case i need more room in the future.
not for sure what linux verison i want either at the moment. I want to be able to still burn dvd's and download stuff on this pc as well since it will be on 24/7 anyways. So FreeNAS is out of the question.

Although maybe could i use the processor, motherboard, and ram in my signature for the bones of the server and just buy a raid card for it. And then i buy my self a new gaming motherboard and processor and ram for my self. So u guys believe my gaming motherboard would be good enough for a decent server?

4x Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Whether you use your current gaming hardware for the server and buy new hardware for your gaming rig depends on whether you are happy with the performance you are getting from your games.
The server will work fine on whatever and you might want to think about power consumption if you are going to be leaving it on 24/7. You should also remember that you aren't going to be able to fit much server kit in the soprano.
I would buy an mATX board (for the integrated video), 1GB+ of RAM, and at the moment I'm running openSUSE on my servers, I recommend it. If the board has 6+ SATA ports I would buy 6*1TB HDDs and software RAID 10 them, if the board has less than that I would buy a 4 port RAID5 card and 4*1TB HDDs. Either way I would never try to boot from this array.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom