$2500 Rig. Need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodzero

Solid State Member
Ok, I posted a thread earlier and it was pointed out that my build was not what it could be. So I basically changed some key parts. I need some help finding an appropriate cooling system (fan or liquid?) and power supply. Everyone said a 1000 watt was overkill and no needed for my system. So I'm looking for something more suitable for my setup. In terms of the cooling, what are some recommended products?

This is what I currently I'm thinking:
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Blue Full Tower
Intel Core i7-920 (Planning to OC)
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution (OCing to 1600)
Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Planning to Crossfire in Future)
Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner BDR-205
AFT XM5U All-in-one
NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
VisionTek 900296 Killer Xeno Pro
32 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
1 TB HDD

I don't think 1000 watts is overkill since you are going to be adding a third video card. Why not get the 5870 card instead of the 5850? What is this setup going to used for?

I am not too good on the cooling part.

I would just start with (1) 5870 instead of (2) 5850's. And then if you need it later get a 2nd 5870.
I would also strongly recommend the i7 920 over the i7 960, especially if your planning on overclocking.

I'm only home for lunch, when I get off of work I'll link you up to a few good heatsinks. and power supplies.

I just looked at your Sig and I see why you suggest the 920 now. And with those kinda gains, not even a question on which to get.

Maybe I will go with the 5870. That was my original idea. Since the only reason I didn't Crossfire it to begin with was because Cossfiring 5850s is cheaper lol.

Setup will be used mainly for gamings/blu-ray.

I decided to go with the Corsair CMPSU-850HX.

Still looking for cooling solutions. If I OC my motherboard to 1600, OC my CPU, and run AT LEAST two 5870's, then should I go with Fans, or water cooling? Any good quality products out there for around 100 bucks? Don't need something super nice but don't wanna go too cheap either. I've seen some setups can get around $250.

Air cooling is fine unless you want super good temps, or another hobby to get addicted to (like me). Water cooling will run about $250 for a good CPU loop, add $100-$300 for 2 GPU's depending on how you do it.

For CPU coolers, the TRUE120 or Prolimatech Megahalems are both good choices.
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Rev C
Prolimatech Megahalem Rev. B for Intel 775 / 1156 / 1366

If you do get the TRUE, you are going to want to look at lapping it.

edit: oh and you are going to want some nice fans too, I've heard great things about these
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scsf63cfms12.html

I decided to just go with fans for now until I plan to do major OCing on most of my components and when I go into tripple Crossfire.

So you'd suggest that CPU cooling kit? I like the Prolimatech Megahalem. How many fans do you think I should be running inside? 3ish maybe?

If you really nice temps I'd put 2 on the CPU cooler, then how ever many else your case can fit, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom