CRT or LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well to decide between a crt and an lcd, u would first have to determine what u are going to be using it for... now if u need performance from it, u must go with the crt, if u need just general use go with the lcd.. its new.. it looks nice, save space... other than that its just a monitor after all.. if i were you i would go to a store that offers both used and new monitors, get a used CRT a good one, not an old one from like 96' or something, get a good one, u can usually get a crt cheap at retail shops.. i paid 50$ for mine, its a 17 inch samsung, i use 1024 x 768 res. and i get 115 hertz refresh rate. great for gaming, then i turned around for a smaller space and bout an lcd for 150 15". i use it for my linux box, and sometimes when im coding for dual display setups... but if i were you i would invest sometime in this and try to get both, u wont regret it i promise

there are only 3 reason to get an LCD:
-save space
-save power
-looks nice

there are lots of cons:
-expensive
-bad image quality/colors etc
-slow refresh rate
-high response times

So basically u always get a CRT unless u have enough money and don't know the cons and want more space or want to save power. Or if u want to make your desk look nice.

This will change in a couple of years but I think CRT's will rule for the next 5 years :D

sigh. i love my LCD, it's only a 17 incher, but the refresh rate is 16miliseconds and looks great during Doom3 at the LCD's highest res. I know viewsonic makes 20 inch LCD's with the 16 ms refresh rate. It's the pro series. BenQ makes a 16 ms LCD for cheaper, and I heard samsung has one with a 12ms refresh rate, which is the fastest LCDs have gotten so far. The brightness is awesome, the colors are great, no ghosting for me, no matter how fast the games are moving.

You can get CRTs for hecka cheaper, and if your eye is trained, games will look better. But a 20" will be a heavy hunk of machinery.

i couldnt even fit a 13" crt on my dorm desk so i had no choice. so consider yourselves lucky. btw i love my lcd and experience no ghosting or anything and my 16ms is pretty dec. but mine was expensive, damn

amd64 3200+
ati 9800xt
maxtor 250gb 8mbC
maxtor sata 160
soyo k8usa
pioneer dvr 107D
corsair 512mb pc3200
audigy2zs platinum
dell 2001fp 20" lcd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back