Should I do the i7 Build?? Need true advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
Hey guys,
Moneys tight but I have ~$700 of play money that I have allotted myself and need some advice. I am a big car buff and was originally planning on putting that money towards some beefy half shafts for my GTO but I seemed to have been suddenly bitten by the desire to give myself a new build.

My current build is now 9 months old and although it seems to fit the bill fine, I feel there is room for improvement. (I do a lot of gaming; looking forward to Bad Company 2, and many other games this year)

So what do you guys think? Is it worth the upgrade? My current build is in my Signature.

Here is what I am looking at changing... (I am also fighting myself over the 2 motherboards. I think ASUS is the better route with the key features like USB 3.0 ..etc, but what do you guys think?)

MOTHERBOARD:
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
or
Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

PROCESSOR:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM:
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Also, what do you guys recommend for a good Intel i7 Heatsink/Fan?

Thanks!
-Kyle:D

It would be nice but you would see very little improvement over your current build.

heatsink:
good: sunbeam core contact 120
better: TRUE 120
You asked for true advice ;)

you said it yourself, money's tight! Doesn't seem very necessary for you to be getting an i7 build, but it is nice to know that you have the best :). But If you want to spice up your build you could get an SSD.

Yeah I agreem sure you would see an increase in performance, but I dou't think it would really be worth it, as your system right now is fine. Like said, maybe an SSD if you want to do something, or another 280 for sli.

Your build is pretty new already......I would not upgrade unless i saw a significant performance boost.....it just seems like you would be upgrading just to say you upgraded...lol

I say stand pat.

I would get a nice SSD. Would probably give you the most noticeable performance boost for the money. with $700 you would be able to get a pretty big (as ssd's go) one too.

Yeah I agreem sure you would see an increase in performance, but I dou't think it would really be worth it, as your system right now is fine. Like said, maybe an SSD if you want to do something, or another 280 for sli.

I fought myself over the 280 SLI idea, but decided to hold off and wait for the 5970's to go down in price a little, and do Crossfire 5970's... Maybe come next winter.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to toss and turn this through my head for a bit and try to figure out what I want to do. It's funny how most of you mention an SSD; I was talking to my Cisco professor who also does A+ Certification about the SSD's as I wanted his opinion and I agree with him where that, its a lot of money and probably better to wait for them to go down in cost.

I can't imagine dropping $600 on a 120GB SSD. I mean, besides my games/files starting faster, what is the big deal over them? And due to their small size, are they considered your primary hard drive?

I was looking at an OCZ Vertex Series 30GB SSD for $110, but I have over 100GB worth of programs/OS on my current drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom