Upgrading options

Status
Not open for further replies.

klook

Solid State Member
First of all, I have a dell and I know how you feel about them. I have it nontheless. This should be simple compared to the dozens and dozens of threads I have read trying to learn what to do on my own.
I have the XPS 700, dual core 2.13 overclocked to 2.5 by the Nvidia program. I am purchasing 2 more Gig. of Ram and I think that is max for this platform? I will have 4 at that time. I am running 2 7900GS Nvidia's in SLI. My question is what is the maximum you would go in new video card(s)? SLI? Quad SLI? I am not going to go crazy, just want to max out what I have within reason. My next computer will be built after reading for hours in here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kevin

Actually, if you are running a 64-bit OS, it can handle 8GB of RAM (4 x 2GB). If you are only running a 32-bit OS, it is limited to 4GB.

Since you have an Nvidia 590 SLI MCP chipset, you are limited to only SLI. According o the specifications for that model, you have either a 750W or 1KW PSU, so you are good to go for power. :D A pair of GTX 260's would be a great combo, making your CPU your limiting factor.

The Dell specs are pretty vague as far as the best CPU you could drop in your rig. It only says "Intel Pentium 4, Intel Pentium D, Intel Core 2 Duo". I checked the BIOS update for your model, but it was just as helpful. >.< A little Googling found that the E6400 seems to be the top dog, but I would hazard to guess that's what you are running (2.13 GHz).

Here's your spec page, by the way:
Documentation

Thanks for the response. I am running XP 32 bit at this time. I think I could us 64 but I am not sure. That was my question, how much do I spend on video cards before the CPU becomes the bottleneck and makes bigger and better cards moot? I read a piece in here I believe about 2 7900GS being overclocked and about equaling one of the ATI cards. I actually don't have a clue if getting cards higher up on the list will help or not. Or if there are cards I cannot use in SLI. I am just looking for the best bang for the buck and not waste money on cards I don't need.

Kevin

I would wait on Nvidia to release their new cards. It should be pretty soon and the prices on the cards available now should drop :D

Yes, I checked the price of the GTX 260 and it was $220. Two of them would be abit pricey to play an occasional game. I have no problem waiting, but are those 2 cards more them my CPU can keep up with? I have seen nice improvements with the overclocking program from Nvidia by the way. And a few glitches!

Kevin

Actually, yes, they would be more than your CPU can keep up with. A single 260 would work. Or you could go for a 4850 or 4870 for less money and slightly less performance.

So, one of these cards are superior to my dual 7900's? I do not need to continue to use SLI to get performance from this Dell? I will look into the cost of the other ones but I don't mind the $220 for the 260. Is there a combo of units that would beat the 260 if SLI'd? For a reasonable price? Sorry about all the questions, this sounded simple but every answer begats a question.

Kevin

OMG, I just check the cards out and there is a dizzying array to choose from!? How do you guys keep track of each one??? Lets put it this way, you know what I have, just point at one and I will go for it. I will probably wait a little while and see if prices come down. Yikes, this get more difficult all the time.

kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom