PCI problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azathoth448

Solid State Member
I just reinstalled Windows 98 on my Compaq Presario 5140. It had been having some problems with booting so I decided to reformat it. I installed windows and noticed that none of my PCI devices were starting up. I looked in the device manager and it said that there were no drivers installed for the PCI Serial Controller. I've done some research and I can't seem to find any.
I work for an IT department, so I know what I'm doing, but I can't figure out whether this is a hardware problem or a software.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What you should have done 1st was go to Compaq website and downloaded all the newest drivers for your rig and burn them to a CD..Chipsets/DX etc all the drivers that you need..
Thats where you can find the correct drivers for your system.
I would remove all the PCI cards except the Video .Get your OS installed and Updated and stable then add each PCI card 1 at a time untill done .Lot less headache .

download and run driverguide and have it scan all the hardware. it should give you exact model numbers and send you to a link on driverguide.com for the correct driver if it's available (they have a HUGE amount of drivers).

You didnt say Compaq had no drivers .You said you researched:)
Heres everything you need from Compaq .That is for WIN98 driver support also good luck and save this stuff to a CD :)

the problem is that there are no pci drivers.
take a look. I couldn't find them because they don't exist there.

what is the serial number on the computer?
Or the model of the Motherboard?
It looks like a AMD with VIA Chipsets .Have you installed the 4-1 Chipset Driver updates?This will install your PCI controller drivers and unpdate the AGP/CPU/BRIDGE Chipsets. You can download those from VIA or if you have a fairly new MB CD WITH VIA CHipsets they should be on there as well.

how do I find out model numbers?
I don't seem to recall how to.

and I tried a reinstall. That didn't do a thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom