Max safe temp for a Q6600 G0 stepping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Just wondering the above, I have it OC'd a bit, could go further. Just monitoring it via coretemp and I'm wondering what the highest "safe" temperature is.

I have a Q6600 @3.06, running around 35C. I just don't game anymore, so I don't need a max O/C. I think the max it can go before your motherboard fails is 78C. (at least default in BIOS on my ASUS P5E)

30-50C is acceptable.

Yea Fat.Clown is right, about 70c Max load while running LinX burn test is what I aim for. Gives me a max load temp of about 63c while running Prime95 (Seems kind of weird that both programs cause %100 load yet have a massive difference in core temperatures). Any Core temperatures over 76c can easily cause permanent damage because while the core hasn't reached the critical temperature at that point the case temperature will be around 71c which definitely will. What speed and voltage are you running? Depending on your cooler you should be able to pass 3Ghz fairly easily with a G0 and decent motherboard.

Yea Fat.Clown is right, about 70c Max load while running LinX burn test is what I aim for. Gives me a max load temp of about 63c while running Prime95 (Seems kind of weird that both programs cause %100 load yet have a massive difference in core temperatures). Any Core temperatures over 76c can easily cause permanent damage because while the core hasn't reached the critical temperature at that point the case temperature will be around 71c which definitely will. What speed and voltage are you running? Depending on your cooler you should be able to pass 3Ghz fairly easily with a G0 and decent motherboard.

cheers guys.

I haven't adjusted the voltage, it's at 3ghz, I don't think I play anything which would really benefit from it being faster, probably more GPU dependant, suppose I could give it a go though. Had core temp running in my last gaming session, the max recorded temp was 61c...so probably would need a better CPU cooler if I wanted to push it further.

cheers guys.

I haven't adjusted the voltage, it's at 3ghz, I don't think I play anything which would really benefit from it being faster, probably more GPU dependant, suppose I could give it a go though. Had core temp running in my last gaming session, the max recorded temp was 61c...so probably would need a better CPU cooler if I wanted to push it further.

Try downloading LinX and Prime95 and giving them a run, these will give you a better Idea of your Load temperatures. Also I would recommend that you change the voltage from auto to manual and work out the minimum stable voltage you need for your 3Ghz as when it is on auto it always over-compensates and this means you will have higher temperatures. Depending on your processor I think about 1.3v should do maybe slightly lower.

Yha, a G0 is usually under 1.3V.

My AUTO had my vcore at like something crazy, driving my temps way up to 75C. Manual adjustment dropped it 15C.

Theres also a program called GROMAC, which swimulates folding at home. FaH is alot rougher on overclocks than regular stress test, if you want to be absolutely stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom