Need Help With Upgrade Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIGHTDAWG7

Solid State Member
Hello folks I have a question in regards to upgrading my PC.

I have an
Inspiron 531s
3.5 RAM
AMD 64X2 +5000 2.6GHZ,
Windows 7 64BIT, 300GB HD
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB VRAM DDR2

DELL (They might have been wrong but it's too late now for me) stated that the only processor upgrade I could do is an AMD 64X2 + 6000 3.1 GHZ Processor so I got that one. Now I'm trying to upgrade my graphics card.

Now according to everywhere I've been my Inspiron can only do 250W though I'm running a graphics card that currently requires 350W with no issues. My question is...would it handle a GEForcde 9600GT that requires 400W (I'm having difficulties finding a 59W version that requires only 300W).

If not the next question is...can my PC handle a 400W PSU so I can then get the graphics card (according to DELL I can't). Can you folks help me?

doesn't seem like a worth-while upgrade to be going from a 9500gt to a 9600gt. I recommend going with at least a 4850 (which run for about $100) and buy a power supply that can power it (for about $50-$60). Is your case big enough to handle regular sized cards? or would you need a low profile card?

It is a slim case that does low profile cards. I have a question for you though...can I pretty much run any PSU in my PC as long as it fits (or I can just leave the case open).

Your case won't hold a standard PSU, and I seriously doubt it will hold a mATX PSU. You would do better to get a new case/PSU and just transplant your stuff into it. Choose whatever case catches your eye, and check the PSU Guide sticky for which brands of power supply to look for and with to avoid.

Your case won't hold a standard PSU, and I seriously doubt it will hold a mATX PSU. You would do better to get a new case/PSU and just transplant your stuff into it. Choose whatever case catches your eye, and check the PSU Guide sticky for which brands of power supply to look for and with to avoid.

So in regards to the GPU itself I take it such an idea is just not possible right? I saw that they have a 59W version of the GeForce 9600GT that only requires 300W compared to my 9500 that currently requires 350W. I wish I could get away with just 50W more so I could just get the upgrade w/ no worries.

You don't want to risk it with the powersupply... you could end up killing your system.

If you wanted to upgrade, you shouldn't have gotten a dell.. :p . even going from the 5000+ to a 6000+ seems like a very minor upgrade, and now you want to go from 9500gt to a 9600gt... those seem like very minor upgrades and i doubt there'd be much noticeable improvement... especially since you're looking for a low watt version of the 9600gt which will probably be crippled in some way.

As for your motherboard, i really don't know! What form factor is it? If its ATX or mATX then yes, it'll fit in most mid tower cases... if it's some weird propriety dell form factor, then it'll be pretty difficult to find a case that it'll fit it.

How much money are you willing to throw at this upgrade? If its high enough, we might be able to give you a reasonable option... (although, too bad you already bought the 6000+... you can't return it, can you?)

You don't want to risk it with the powersupply... you could end up killing your system.

If you wanted to upgrade, you shouldn't have gotten a dell.. :p . even going from the 5000+ to a 6000+ seems like a very minor upgrade, and now you want to go from 9500gt to a 9600gt... those seem like very minor upgrades and i doubt there'd be much noticeable improvement... especially since you're looking for a low watt version of the 9600gt which will probably be crippled in some way.

As for your motherboard, i really don't know! What form factor is it? If its ATX or mATX then yes, it'll fit in most mid tower cases... if it's some weird propriety dell form factor, then it'll be pretty difficult to find a case that it'll fit it.

How much money are you willing to throw at this upgrade? If its high enough, we might be able to give you a reasonable option... (although, too bad you already bought the 6000+... you can't return it, can you?)

The only reason I purchased that one was b/c DELL told me that was the highest processor they had tested thus far on this particular mobo...what processor would you suggest that may make a noticeable difference? I'm not looking for high end gaming but I would like to see some improvement over my current set up. The mobo is micro-atx! When you talked about risking the board with the power were you talking about trying to play the 9600GT straight on it or were you saying there is a risk from getting a 400PSU?

I didn't have a specific processor in mind, but you would've had better options if you had all your money together now.

Since your motherboard is mATX, it will fit in most cases; find any cheap case that says it'll support mATX (most do).

I was saying don't risk using a card with an under-powered PSU as it may damage your components. If it says it requires 400watts, get (at least) a 400watt PSU!

What areas are you looking to improve in specific? You didn't say how much you're willing to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom