A Couple of BIOS Setup Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seawolf

Baseband Member
I've got my new computer assembled (first time builder) and need a couple of things answered.
1. In the BIOS under "Storage Configuration" it asks "Configure SATA as" IDE, RAID or AHCI. I will be running two disk drives, a 160 gig primarily for the OS and a 1tb for everything else. I want these two drives to be independent so I'm pretty sure RAID is not for me. I don't really know much about IDE or AHCI but IDE seems to be an older setup. I'm thinking AHCI even though I'm not sure what it means or does? Then if I select AHCI and go to "AHCI Configuration" it's finding all SATA Ports as "Not Detected". I guess that's normal since I really have nothing hooked up at this point?
2. Also under "System Information", it says "System Memory Usable Size 2040MB even though I've installed 4 gigs. 2x2 gig sticks. Am I just reading something wrong or can one stick be bad and the system still boot to the BIOS?
I need to get this done today since the weekends are the most time I have for something like this.
Thanks.

1. AHCI is the one you want to go for, it's a newer controller for SATA devices than IDE.

2. Yes, you can get into BIOS with a bad stick; try reseating both sticks. Oh, and do you have them in colour-matching slots?

Yes they are in color matching slots. The MB book said for two sticks to use DIMM A1 and DIMM B1 slots which is where I have them. Guess I need to shut it down and try reseating them.
Thanks. Hope it works.

just install the one drive first. alot will configure itself as the motherboard detects whats installed. just install one stick of ram at first and get it running. load the OS .
whatever you do dont start using wire ties to secure the wires yet. get it running first.

That did it!
I removed both sticks and swapped them around and now they are both detected.
Thank you Yamikotai.

I agree baih777. I've only installed my 160 gig drive for now until everything is up and running. Then I'll install the 1tb drive. I also agree with you on the wires ties as I haven't used any yet. I'll get things all buttoned up and running well first.
Thanks guys!

Actually 2nd drive does not need any instalaltion except to connect it to SATA controller and it should appear then in OS a OS should install drivers if necessary. But keep one disk during installation it is god choice.

Actually 2nd drive does not need any instalaltion except to connect it to SATA controller and it should appear then in OS a OS should install drivers if necessary.

That's what I thought.
Windows 7 is installed.
I'll get the second HD installed when all else is done.
Thanks for the reply.

I made it the same, installing system drives in mirror and after all connect 1TB storage at the end.
Its maybe moreless habbit but should not hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom