How much change can a new motherboard & cpu make to a problematic system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prisonbreak94

In Runtime
Hi everyone,

If anyone has seen my posts that I made before, I have had a pretty problematic system since I made it in 2008. I've had BSOD's, GPU overheat issues, motherboard failure, extreme lags etc etc...At last after discussing with a few friends I got a new motherboard and cpu...I replaced my Asus P5Q3-Deluxe WiFi Ap-@N motherboard with the Gigabyte FXTA790-UD5 and my Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black edition...

For some reason, even though I know these new parts are pretty good, I am not as optimistic as I should be... Since the mobo was not at the shop and needed to be ordered, I have not yet gotten my desktop with the new parts, so I have not seen how the new setup will perform...

What I want to know is how much change do you think this new mobo & cpu will make to my system in terms of performance and problems...I mean, do you see any reason why my old system would constantly have problems, and do you think this new setup will be good? Do you think that my problems are quite possibly solved now that I have changed two main parts of a computer's setup?

PS: You can see my old system setup from my sig and replace the mobo and cpu with what I wrote above for the new setup.

Thanks!

i dont think youre going to be able to tell if your old mobo or cpu was causing the problems until you try out the new parts.

in terms of straight performance, your new setup would be good and you should see improvements. but if it turns out that it was not your old mobo and cpu causing the problems then they will persist.

all your parts look good except that psu; never heard of high power brand. did you try testing with a different psu? did you ever fix your gpu's overheating problem?

what else have you done to try and figure out what the problem mightve been?

Hey, thanks for the reply.
Yeah I guess I have to wait a few days to get the new system and see how it works out...I think that if my problems continue, it must be something with RAM or my HDD...I mean, yeah high power isn't really well known I guess, but what can having an unknown company's PSU do to cause such problems? I mean isn't a 650W power supply enough for a system like this? To answer your question, no I didn't try a different PSU. But if you can tell me why a PSU would cause problems such as what I had before, I might think of that next if the new parts don't fix my issues.

I mean since day one when I first had issues, I got help from these forums, corsair forums, made specific bios adjustments, formats, ram tests, hard disk checks, virus scan & removal, sent my gpu to the manufacturer, sent my mobo to the manufacturer, changed cooling of case, added fans, etc etc...I've done a lot of stuff...

Regarding the gpu overheating thing, after speaking with some people, I have been told that 50-55C on idle and 65-70C on load isn't too bad and that Nvidia cards get very hot...Thye told me not to worry, and so I let that go for now. But if you have any opinion regarding that I'll be more than happy to listen. But the main thing I want to get sorted out is the constant issues with the system. BSOD's, extreme lag, freezing of PC, motherboard issues etc...I just want to be able to use my pc properly without having to format, or to take parts to the shop all the time. Get what I mean?

Thanks for trying to help,

There's really no way to know until you try out the new parts. If you said your GPU is overheating, you could try getting a new GPU if this doesn't work.

Maybe that PSU might not be so reliable, so you could also try that one out.

I read your reply. A Power Supply can affect this if it's not giving sufficient power to your mobo/gpu. Although a Power Supply with 650w is usually good, you have to look also at Amps. A power supply with higher amps can handle more, while lower handles less. Beware-- Wattage can be decieving. If none of your solutions work, try buying a new PSU, possibly a Corsair 650HX or 650TX.
Your build doesn't look like it should consume too much power, but you never know. Tell me what happens with the new Mobo and CPU.
PS: does your CPU have any thermal grease or anything?

Well yeah getting a new gpu is something I will think of in the future, but as I said, people have been telling me that for an nvidia card 70C on load is normal....And if my problems persist, I am most likely going to consider the PSU or RAM change.

I will let you know how the new setup works, but its going to take a few days, since the mobo won't arrive till monday or tuesday.

Regarding thermal grease; im guessing u mean my previous CPU which I have now replaced...I guess it did, but I don't know because I didn't build the PC, I chose the parts and the shop built it for me...But the CPU temps were quite low so I guess that may mean that it had thermal grease?

Thanks

Well I don't think it really matters now whether or not my old CPU had thermal grease...Since I got a new one ;) But whenever I had a problem if I was not able to troubleshoot it myself I came here, and if we were not able to troubleshoot it here, then I would take the failing component or the whole PC to the shop...So they did help a bit but in the long run I keep getting issues.

I'll let you know how it looks when I get the new sytem though :)

@Baih777: First of all, I'm not sure what difference it would make if i am or am not using the wifi on my motherboard, but, that being said, I've never been able to use the wifi from my ASUS mobo, I don't know why but it would never find my wireless signal, or any other wifi signal for that matter....

THanks for the reply anyhow

UPDATE: Hi again guys - so last night I got my new system...Unfortunately the first look isn't so good. When I tried to fire up my PC, it kept freezing after a certain point...I thought there might be something up with RAM, and so when I removed 3/4 ram chips, it worked fine...When I put in another, the PC began freezing again. But before I conclude at faulty ram, I just remembered that when I got this PC I had lots of issues pointing at RAM and those were solved by BIOS settings....Just wondering what you guys think may be the issue and if I need BIOS settings made....

EDIT: I tried to startup my PC with single modules, one by one. I ran each 1GB module one by one and with each module, the PC froze, so I guess that tells us that a RAM stick can't be faulty (unless its all 4 that are faulty which I wud find difficult to believe o_O) and it must be some BIOS tweaking needed? Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom