My Computer Won't Recognize My Ide Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Chunks

Beta member
Hi, I recently began re-assembling a computer I used to use about a year ago. The hard drive is empty. During bootup, it loads keyboard, mouse, floppy drive, but neither my hard drive or my cd-rom. I can boot from the floppy but I have nowhere to install an OS to, or to install one FROM for that matter. I have swapped out the ribbons and cd-roms but they still are not recognized during bootup. When the bios is opened, it doesn't show anything under the primary slave/master or the secondary slave/master. I really hope its not the MoBo, but possibly? Thank you.

also, is your ide cables old or bent badly, some of the wires can be cut by being bent many times, also is the ide cables around the right way?

Yeah, I have the drives jumpered correctly. I originally had the hd set on the primary ide and the cd-rom set on the secondary. Last night I set the cd-rom as slave with the hd as master on the primary ide. Low and behold, it worked. I was able to install my os. However, I still cannot get anything on the secondary ide recognized, which poses a problem since i wanted to run a slave hard drive and designate the cd-rom to the 2nd ide. And yes, I do have all drives under the BIOS set to auto. And I have tried using a different ribbon.

hmmm, i have a computer that will recognise all hard disks but not cdroms, i have tried all the things stated here as well.

I have heard that some older mb need drivers to access the cdrom, like if you were installing an os for the first time. You said it is an older computer. Maybe your specs will help. And how old are we talking about? Some times old mb need drives for the cdrom.

drivers won't help in this case. Drivers only help in windows but without the CD-rom drive beeing detected by the BIOS it won't help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom