Is there a motherboard that can.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like2game

Baseband Member
I have the opportunity to trade my 1 year old GTX260 for an new ATI 5870 of my choice (it's kind of a gift too). My motherboard fried a few month ago and i have been using a back up PC. So i need to buy a motherboard anyways and want to do it the same day i trade graphic cards.

What i need to know is if there is a motherboard that will support these following parts, overclock well, and crossfire with 5870s, for future upgrade if i need. My monitor is 1920x1200 so i might end up wanting crossfire 5870s sooner rather than later.

Q6700 with arctic freezer pro 7
2x2gigs of PC6400 (DDR2 800)
Corsair TX750 PSU (ATX)
Vista 64bit

I spent a few hours trying to look around. The few i found said they were compatible with 16x with a single card an 8x with crossfire. I also read that the 5870s max out that 8x bandwidth. i am not even sure exactly what that means, but it sound like that 8x cross fire would bottleneck the 5870s. I have only dealt with Nvidia in every single PC i ever built/repaired.

The 5870 will run at 1900x1200 all day long, you won't need to buy a 2nd one. To be perfectly honest your Q6700 will probably just be a bottleneck for 2-5870's. Take the money for the 2nd 5870 and combine it with the new mobo money and upgrade to a i7 920, X58 mobo and 3x2GB of DDR3 1600. Then when you actually need a 2nd 5870 you'll have a PC that can handle it.

i agree with slaymate. If you have the money, go for i7 and stick with just one 5870 as thats a beast of a card. If you don't have much money, just go for a regular 775 motherboard.. you won't need crossfire for reasons mentioned by slaymate; and that system will last you a while.

Money is a bit of an issue right now. I can spend a couple hundred every few months, but that is about it. It's just been that my GPU has been my bottleneck for so long. I just really didn't want to get a new card and be forced to run 1680x1050 anymore. What i was kind of planning was motherboard now, then a really awesome sound card a few months later, then a pci raid controller and a few semi cheap hardrives a few months after that. I was thinking of getting the second 5870 sometime during those other upgrades, when i saw one for cheap enough. if 1 will do the trick at 1920x1200 with a little AA though, 1 will be fine.

Okay so if i scratched off the crossfire ability for now, i could probably make due with a P45 chipset motherboard i am thinking. I saw a few Asus mobos for around $100. Anything particular i should avoid when picking one out? Any specific Asus models that turned out to be lemons? All the 775 motherboards are so cheap now i just want to get the best possible one i can.

Edit: here is what i have my eye on i guess. ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard. It has 3 PCI slots so i would be able to get the sound card and raid controller plus maybe a capture card or something else down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom