Soooo.. time for a rebuild!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with the xeon W3520, you know you want to :D

And get a better cooler... Like a megahalems, that AC7 pro won't cool an i7 well at all

After reading around on a few forums I agree with you... I might go with the W3520... And am definitely getting a better cooler :tongue:

And I'm really looking hard again at that Cosmos 1100 case.. my only gripe is the huge side fan.. I've never liked those. But if I really hate it I can just buy another side panel.

Yup, I'd go as far as to say that it's guaranteed W3520's clock better (w/ lower voltage, too) than retail 920's (except for the really nice 920's). They aren't that much more either, so I'd say it's worth it. I'm starting to regret I didn't get one...

As for a case does size matter anymore? 800D :D

Nah size doesn't matter.. I won't be able to get anything big enough to fit in that cubby, so I'll put something else there.. :p

I really like the 800D, but.... I also like the Cosmos 1100 :( I'm so conflicted :tongue:

I have a question about OCing...
I changed the RAM to some G.SKILL Trident DDR3 2000 spec memory..
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD - Desktop Memory
mobo:
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
and I went back with the Megahalems cooler:
Newegg.com - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

What OC do you guys think I can get out of that? I'm aiming for 4Ghz or above with this overclock. Would water cooling be necessary?

I'm putting extra fans in any case I get, also.

i can get 4ghz stable with my setup...any higher would require water cool pretty much (might be able to go a bit higher if i lapped)...some chips are better then others though, you could get to 4.2...if you lap...

I'm at 4.1 right now (4.2 didn't like F@H) but I've been as high as 4.5ghz (not stable at all lol)

Getting 4.2 out of a W3520 will be a piece of cake... and the Megahalems don't need a lapping as bad as the TRUE's do... just get some good fans in push/pull and you are set

I've been reading around again.. I've seen places that say the ASUS motherboards don't play very nice with the Xeon processor? Says:
Some boards only have one QPI ratio and two memory ratios available with Xeons (i.e. ASUS P6T).
I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but from the comments below, it's bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom