Boot drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running one now.. A bit of work to update the firmware, but once I figured it out it was easy. Darn thing makes instant look slow. :D
Also some tweaks with Win 7 and a couple things you have to shut off and change.

Vertex SSD Firmware issues resolved. - XtremeSystems Forums

When you get your drive you'll want to make sure you have firmware 1.4 for Windows 7 (Trim Support) or firmware 1.41 for Windows Vista (No Trim support, instead it supports the Garbage Collection Utility)
Discussion 1.40 / 1.41 FW UPDATERS HERE - OCZ Forum

And you should look at these before you begin.
Guides and Important InFo - OCZ Forum

Once your ready to install Windows insert the firmware disc 1st. If your drive already has the correct firmware then you can exit out of the utility, if you need to flash it do so now. :D

Once Windows is installed you'll want to go here and adjust a few settings :D
OCZ Forum - View Single Post - Guide Windows 7 end user tweaks and tips

Guide SSD Tweak Utility - OCZ Forum

I am looking for a SSD to use windows 7 with, I have a max limit of 200 maybe a little higher if the price justify the performance.

I was looking at the OCZ Solid 2 Series. Newegg.com - OCZ Solid 2 Series OCZSSD2-2SLD60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

Other suggestions are welcome.

Newegg.com - Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

The X-25V doesn't have quite as much space as the solid 2 but it is faster and a decent bit cheaper.

The Solid 2 is a pretty interesting drive but personally I would wait to see a review of by one of the major sites before getting one.

Is 30GB enough for Win 7, should I just try to save a bit more and Raid0 2 of them?

I just finished installing Windows 7 Pro 64bit on my SSD and it takes up 11.6gb with nothing else on the drive so 30gb could be enough depending on what else you want on it. One thing to keep in mind is it's recommended to leave at least 10% of a SSD empty for performance reasons.

^ I'm running Vista and I still have 13g free. even after a game and a couple bench mark programs installed.. The list in my quote has a couple bits of cache items to turn off to save space.

I think I'll go with the Intel X25-V and raid them.. Would it be better to do Raid 0 or another type of raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom