Dvd Burner ??'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droot

Baseband Member
I'm in need of a new cd burner and figured might as well get a cd/dvd burner and had a few questions.
1. What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? which is better and why?
2. Is it worth it to get one with Dual Layer?
3. Any suggestions for a DVD Burner?

Thx Droot

Get a burner that support both DVD-R and +R. I use -R just because my standalone DVD player supports DVD-R. Then you can burn -R and +R yourself and see what works best for you. I would get dual layer if I had to upgrade my single layer, you can hold a full length, full quality DVD on a dual layer, with a single layer, you have to take away some of the quality to get it to fit on the 4.7 gigs provided.

My suggestion, any Plextor DVD-/+R / CD-R combo drive.

another difference is Apple computers will only burn on -R while Sony is the main reason +R are out. In the PC world, either will work for you. In earlier dvd burning, you could get faster burn rates on the +R but that doesnt seem to be the case anymore.

DVD-R discs have a wider compatibilty rate than +R. If your living room is an older model, -R will probably work with it. Nowadays, all DVD burners will burn multiple format including CD-ROMS. Dual layer burners will also offer you the opportunity to burn dual layer discs but the mediums are fairly expensive right now so if you do get one, make sure that it also burns single layers (most do). LG make good burners and so does sony. The best way is to go to your store, check out the different models and then go to tomshardware or anandtech and check their reviews. This will help you make up your mind. Personally, I bought the LG 4081B when it came out and I love it.

Droot said:
1. What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? which is better and why?
2. Is it worth it to get one with Dual Layer?
3. Any suggestions for a DVD Burner?

Thx Droot

1. - The offical line that I have hear that -R media is better for Data where + Media is better for backing up movies. Not really an issue now days as most DVD burns are coming out dual format. And over all, I have not had must issue with backing up DVD movies on -R media.
-R is about 10% cheaper that +R media

2. - Might as well. The Dual Layer meda is still over priced. But I am convinced that the price will come down on the media in the next 6 months. Most new DVD Burners that are getting produces will take Dual Layer. And some of the slightly older ones just need a Firmware upgrade. Eg. My Pioneer 107D Burner where i just flashed the firmware so I will take the dual layer.

3. Pioneer 108D. I sell a lot of these, and I have had no problems with these.

Philips&Sony developed +R and as far as I can remember Pioneer developed -R. I think +R are more common but its different in every country. I would get a burner wich supports both.

I would get a Sony, Pioneer, BenQ or Plextor burner.

TheMajor said:
would get a Sony, Pioneer, BenQ or Plextor burner.
Not sure with the BenQ. I have been having problems with BenQ burners this year (which is strange)

i have seen problems with Philips so I wouldn't ge an LG because its the same. But basically every brand has bad and good burners.

Well, stay clear from IOMEGA / NEC. Good freind of mine has had NOTHING but trouble with his.

i read in a Dell magazine that a DVD burnr will burn a CD faster than a CD burner will!:confused: if this is true i gonna just get a DVD burner!:D tel me if its true!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom