new to building, few quick questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryharvey22

Beta member
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and new to building computers and all. Heres my story. A friend had a bunch of spare parts so built me a comp for $100. The thing kept shutting off. So that is where I started delving into knowing more than everyday comp stuff. looked into everything, things I have never heard of and had no idea what it was, and just did a lot of research and learned a lot about how computers work and all of the background info and such. Anyways now my computer is up and running.
Specs of computer 1:
MOBO: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.40GHz FSB 800mhz cache 2mb
MEMORY: Crucial Technology DDR2 4GIGS (2G X 2)
GRAPHICS CARD: BFG NIVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GIG PCI EXPRESS X2 2GEN
OPTICAL: HP DVD Writer 1260d ATA Device
HDD: Western Digital 700gig and Western Dig. External 1 Tera

So I thought I had problems with the MOBO of original comp so i installed the Gigabyte currently in comp. Looking more into it now I think its because the MOBO, an Intel DP965LT, needs very specific Memory, has to be 1.8v no more no less, and 2.2v was installed. So now I'm going to use that MOBO and some other extras that I have to build another computer. I recently bought an Intel e6420 core 2 duo 2.13ghz FSB: 1066 MHz Cache: 4 MB Process: 65 nm. The second computer I'm going to use as a budget HTPC. My questions are:

1) I use computer 1 for internet and to code movies and play games on, how much faster is the e6420 processor?

2)I was thinking of putting another hard drive in computer 1 and dual booting win 7 and linux. I would use win 7 to play my games, and use linux to do all the encoding movies and going on the web sites that i go on that I know have malware and such that slows down my comp. Would

3) The computer I'm going to build is to watch movies and to listen to music. I figure I'll code movies and such like that on computer 1. So what kind of graphics card should I get? I'm on a budget, so the cheaper is better. VGA hook ups are fine, would like to use hdmi though but might be too big a hit in the wallet.

4) Also what size power supply do you think I would need for the computer I'm building?

can't you adjust the memory voltage in the bios to 2.2volts?

if you have integrated video then that'll work fine for you, if not, then the cheapest card will do the trick for you, just make sure it has an HDMI port, something like this:

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

as for PSU, here are a couple:

Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - FSP Group SAGA+ 400R 400W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

you should be able to adjust the voltage in the bios . the trick is to use only one stick of ram and go to the bios at startup and change the setting from auto to manual and select your voltage and F10 to save. let the computer start and then shutoff and install the second stick of ram. then start the computer you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom