CD-ROM drive races & system freezes with new software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siena1383

Baseband Member
When I put a new software CD in my CD-ROM drive, it speeds way up. The Autorun window never appears. If I try to run it from Run..., it just wipes out the file I browse to. I can't stop the CD except by ejecting the disk. When I do that, I see my desktop - no icons, no bar at the bottom with Start and tray, just the wallpaper.

I've checked a variety of other software CDs in the drive, and they run normally. I confirmed that my systems meets all minimum system requirements.

So I think the drive is fine and the Autorun is fine. Is it just an oddball disk? What else might do this, and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks.

It was a brand new CD, in perfect condition. I have no idea why, but after trying half a dozen times (after shutting it down, letting it rest, cold booting, etc., without success), I figured I could maybe copy the files to my hard drive while the CD drive was racing, then do the install from my hard drive.

Once the copy started, the CD drive stopped racing and the autorun program started, and I was able to install from the CD. Go figure.

I'd still like to know what kinds of things would cause a CD drive to start racing like that?

Old ones always "hummed", just get a DVD burner. They're quite cheap these days.

As for why, I'm not sure... Might not be fast enough?

Well, thanks for trying, but I did establish that it is faster than what's required. I don't need to burn a new CD.

I guess it's not all that importamt to know WHY a CD-drive (or a DVD drive, whatever) would race. But if anyone does know, I'd still be interested in finding out.

while in somecases cds unable to read due to problem in lens become unable to read the contents in particular point of track in cd may create trouble then your DVD drive runs like jetplane.

That put a spark in my mind. Try opening it up, and spray it with an air can. I always open up the casing on them when they get dirty, but that is not always needed.

Well, thanks for trying, but I did establish that it is faster than what's required. I don't need to burn a new CD.

I guess it's not all that importamt to know WHY a CD-drive (or a DVD drive, whatever) would race. But if anyone does know, I'd still be interested in finding out.
It is almost impossible for anyone to even guess this. As there is so much that goes into it.

Was the Disk finalized? Did the disk contain any infections if made by someone? Did the disk have a proper autorun file?

The list can go on. Without knowing every single aspect as to what you have installed, in what order, what you have removed, what was running at the time and what you do daily on the system we cant even begin to know why this would happen.

I have had this happen from CD's that didnt have a proper autorun, i have had it on disks that contained infections and the infection was trying to install but my system stopped it. I have had this happen on a disk burned in XP using the Windows burning utility but was never finalized so it couldnt be read by any system but that one.

So as you see there is so much more that goes into why things happen other than just insert a disk and let it go. PC's are a bit more complex than they seem when it comes down to trying to figure out problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom