Remove battery when always using power cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpkin_eater

Beta member
Hi,
I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7. I am not carrying it around, almost never, I always have it on my desk with the power cord attached to save the battery.

Someone told me I should physically remove the battery because even if the power cord is attached it affects the battery and shortens its life.

My question is: Should I remove it when it is fully loaded, or should I use it up completely and then remove it when it is empty?

Thanks!

I would reccomend fully charget but from time to time use it. In general they don't like if not used at all for a long time.
At least this my experience.

Ya sure. proper Battery usage is necessary for laptop.
i suggest you, fully charged your battery and then remove the power cord.
after that when battery indication displayed warning message as 'battery low' then again fully charge the battery.
MORE INFO,
Laptop battery tips at laptop-battery.org

I would reccomend fully charget but from time to time use it. In general they don't like if not used at all for a long time.
At least this my experience.

Hi, thanks for your reply!
What would "use from time to time" mean in practice.
1) To use the battery once (until empty and then recharge) before removing it again? Or use/recharge a couple of times before removing it again?
2) With what frequency? Every month? Every six months?

I think on link provided by matt123 are all answers for your questions:

1. New battery pack must be fully charged before use.
2. New battery pack needs to be fully charged and discharged (cycled) a few times before it can condition to full capacity.
3. Rechargeable batteries undergo self-discharging when left unused. Always store a battery pack in a fully charged stage for storage.
4. Fully drain and fully recharge your battery pack every few month.
5. Turn down the LCD brightness of your portable device.
6. Use built-in power management on your portable device.
7. Turn off LCD or other unnecessary accessories when not in use.
8. Set screen saver blank to 1 to 2 minutes of your notebook.
9. Add more RAM if you have extra RAM expansion slot, it will reduce the usage of hard drive and it is power exhaustive.
10. Close unused software in your notebook.
11. Remove unused PC Cards or USB devices from your notebook.
12. Don't watch DVD or play graphics intensive video games.
13. Don't short circuit terminal or store your battery pack with metal parts.
14. Don't drop or mutilate the battery pack.
15. Don't expose to moisture or water.
16. It is normal to get warm when charging or normal use. If it is getting too hot, there may be a problem with the device and qualified personnel should check it.

This is a myth...recent laptop within the past couple years have an autoshutoff and will not charge the battery after its fully charged. Ive ran my laptop almost a year now on wall power with the battery inside and i still get 2 hours of runtime on battery like when i first got it.

Batteries themselves wear out with time, after 3 years expect it to hold very little charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom