upgrading GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

yachtpicasso

Beta member
hey guys...

i was hoping for your help. i own a crapy HP COMPAQ 6720s. but i love it, still! :p

anyways, it came with 2gb ddr2 ram, 1.4 ghz C2D, Integrated mobile intel GPU 965, and vista 32 bit

i know have 4 gb ddr2, 2.0 GHZ C2D, still the integrated GPU, and win7 64bit.

my need is this... i would like to change mainboard with one that can support NVIDIA gpu (or ATi, i dont care). i need more graphics power cause i use a lot of graphics porgrams.

i know the most common answer is GET A NEW ONE... but i would rather find a workaround. any ideas??

No work around. Mainboards are not generic on laptops like they are on desktops. There is no ATX or Mini ATX for laptops. They are all manufacturer specific.

So you would have to find a mainboard that fits in your case, meaning it would have to be made by the same manufacture and would have to be the same class of laptop (IE presario). Then if you did find that it would have to support your other de vices like your wireless, monitor, keyboard, ext. Have you ever taken one apart? They are EXTREMELY specific and very from laptop to lapotp.

So your only option would be to purchase another motherboard that would have been made for the exact same laptop, but the upgraded model. In that case you are still looking at around 300 dollars for the part alone.

GPU's on laptops are tricky, 9 out of 10 require a mainboard swap as you've eluded to, but you can't swap the mainboard because mainboards are specific to case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom