CPU temperature problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lill87

Solid State Member
Hello, I'm using a Intel QuadCore Q6600 using stock cooling in a Antec P190 case.

When I went into the BIOS today I noticed it said my CPU temperature was around 50C idle, which looked weird. I opened my case, and put my finger on the heatsink and it wasnt even hot.

I downloaded Core Temp to measure my CPU temp, and it said all 4 cores were around 45-50C idle. Then I downloaded SpeedFan which said my CPU temp was around 25-30C idle, which seems to be more correct seeing as the heatsink wasn't really hot.

Can both my motherboard temp monitor and Core Temp read wrong while SpeedFan is right, or the other way around? Is there any good way to see for sure if its being overheated or not?

Thanks!

Well Its not over heating yet..... Your BIOS is correct though, so that means coretemps correct. Are you overclocked at all?

How old is it? at least a year being a q6600. It might be just the thermal paste is old and dry.
Check your intake fans for dust, aswell as your heatsink.

Get some new thermal paste, Arctic Silver 5, or such.. not my knowledgeable area, and redo it up.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Well Its not over heating yet..... Your BIOS is correct though, so that means coretemps correct. Are you overclocked at all?

How old is it? at least a year being a q6600. It might be just the thermal paste is old and dry.
Check your intake fans for dust, aswell as your heatsink.

Get some new thermal paste, Arctic Silver 5, or such.. not my knowledgeable area, and redo it up.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

No I'm not overclocked yet, was going to but I think the CPU is too hot for that now.
The CPU is about 1 year old, I have clean air filters on the case as I clean them regularly but I haven't changed the thermal paste yet, so I guess it's that then.

Do I have to remove the old paste before applying new? if so, whats the best way to do it?

Thanks for the response.

Yha, you clean both the cpu and the heatsink.

I could explain hows, but search google, you'll get better explination, AND pictures!

Remember though, if you do oc, you'll need a better heatsink.

Yeah, you need to re-apply the paste. I personally use a dull knife to get most of it off, but there are other ways of doing it.

I have the same CPU, and It's running at 35C, overclocked to 3068.6 MHz (original: 2400 MHz, overclock: 28%) I use CoreTemp to keep an eye on my CPU temps.

Get a better heatsink as well. I love the Xigmatek line.

And welcome to TF

Good way to remove old thermal paste is with rubbing alcohol and something like a coffee filter. To put new paste on, just put a drop about the size of a small pea or grain of rice and then when you put the heatsink back on the pressure from that will spread the paste around well. That's what I've done. Other people use a card to spread an even sheet of paste around before putting the heatsink back on...I find that a little too difficult, although maybe the paste I used was thicker than theirs.

Hello again, I've removed the heatsink and blew it free of dust and reapplied thermal paste, CPU temp went down to a nice 35-40C idle temp and 50-55C full load temp.

I overclocked the Q6600 from 2,4GHZ to 3,0GHZ (9x333) and everything seems to be stable, the temps are 40-45C idle and 60-65C full load.

Are those safe temperatures, or do I need to tune it down?

Thanks for all the responses!

You should really try to keep your Load Temps in the low 60's max. Ideally you should try for 55-60 at full load. The stock cooler is really a poor overclocking choice and as you've experienced a little dust and a little time can cause your temps to skyrocket. At 65C your just a few degrees away from stability problems. You can get a decent cooler for $40-$50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom