When OC the cpu does it always show faster speed in windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesx4911

In Runtime
Alrighty heres my question. WHen you over clock your cpu does it show up in system as a higher speed or does it remain the same? I ask this because my old cpu which was a AMD Athlon x2 dual core 3ghz I was able to OC it to 3.4 I believe, and thats what showed up in the system. But after a upgrade of bios and to a new cpu which is the AMD athlon Phenom 2 x4 940 3ghz black edition cpu it does not show up as a faster speed in system when I oc it in bios. Is this normal? ALso when I did the upgrade of the bios it took away some of my oc options it seems, before I went to FSB and just turned it up a tad, but now its not a option any more, and it just gives me a percentage to OC lol, which I think is kinda lame. My MOBO is a ASUS m3a78-em

I am not quite sure why this would be happening.
If you overclock your CPU, then it should show in windows AND in bios.

Is AMD Cool n' Quiet disabled? Because if it's not, that could be why you're not seeing any increase.

If you flashed your bios with a newer revision, then the settings will have all reset.
With a Black Edition Phenom 2, you should only need to change the Multiplier to increase the core speed, as it's unlocked. You shouldn't need to play around with the FSB at all.

Check out Cool n' Quiet, make sure it's disabled, and try to get a picture of your BIOS Advanced Settings menu if you can.

I think it doesn't show the new speed. Windows recognizes the cpu and shows the stock speed. Use CPU-Z to see the actual speed.

Alrighty I got some pictures. I saw that cool and quiet was turned on and after turning it off windows saw my cpu as a 3.2 because I set the OC to 8% which isnt a whole lot. So whats the proper way to OC this? I would like to get close to 4ghz :devil:

Attachments

• DSC04478.jpg
    DSC04478.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC04479.jpg
    DSC04479.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC04480.jpg
    DSC04480.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 361
The proper way to overclock would be changing the multiplier.

You could bump up the FSB and play around with the memory also, but it's best to hit your CPU max first.

Download and install HWmonitor to keep an eye on your temps.
Run Prime95 for an hour or so and make sure it's stable, and that your temps (while Prime95 is running) do not exceed 60c.

I would suggest leaving that Percentage overclock thing at default, and changing the multiplier to 17, which would give you 3.4ghz. Run Prime95 and HWmonitor, make sure everything is fine, and then bump it up another 100mhz.

Once you see that everything is fine with HWmonitor and Prime95, you can move it up a notch. If you run in to a wall where it becomes unstable, increase the core voltage SLIGHTLY, and try again.

You will hit your wall somewhere around 4.0ghz actually, assuming you have a decent air cooler. I got my Phenom 2 x2 550 to 4.2ghz stable on air :)

You need to use a program like CoreTemp to monitor your temperatures while your in Windows.
Core Temp
We need to see how hot your cpu is under load before making any real suggestions. Download LinX also.
http://www.youwatched.com/datajay/linx(0.64).7z
Start CoreTemp and then start LinX. Using the picture below, click the "ALL" button, select Times to run as "3" and click start. Wait at least 1 minute and capture your screenshot. Stop Linx. Post your screenshot (of Core Temp).
linxw.jpg

Heat is going to be the biggest issue you have when overclocking, with that said, your not going to get very far with the stock heatsink. A decent budget overclocking heatsink is going to be in the $40-$50 range.

You disabled Quiet 'n' Cool. If you'll look at that same screen, go down 2 lines below Quiet 'n' Cool and you'll see C1E Configuration. Disable C1E Configuration, it's another Power Saving Feature that has no place in the overclocking world.

Take Slaymate's advice. Slaymate is one of the best overclockers on this site, and those tips are excellent. I personally use Coretemp as well, and it's a real-time application.

Speaking of cheap coolers, the Arctic Freezer 64 pro is actually a decent little cooler, and it comes with TX-2 pre-applied. I used it to overclock my Phenom 2 x2 550, and it keeps it nice and cool. You might want to check in to it, as it's only 20 or 30 dollars on newegg.

wow 67c at 3ghz? Yeah buddy you may have installed your heatsink wrong or something. I would remove it, completely clean the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the processor, and try again. 67c is to high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom