A good spec machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodi02

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

My trusty desktop is dying and im on the hunt. Using it as a dual monitor machine for uni work, music and browsing at the moment, but I'd like to be able to 'convert' it into a gaming/media beast at some point and will add a 3rd monitor soon. I've been quoted a machine for £1000, any advice would be much appreciated!:cute:

Thanks alot

NZXT Gamma Gaming Case

3 x Quiet 120mm fans

Quiet Xilence 600 Watt 2 x 12V Quiet PSU

Intel Core i7 920 CPU

Quiet Akasa Nero CPU Heatsink with 120mm fan

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard

6 GB Kingston PC10600 (1333Mhz) DDR3 RAM

Samsung F3 500GB SATA hard drive

22x Dual Layer DVD +/- Rewriter

ATI HD5770 1GB PCI Express Graphics card

Onboard 7.1 channel sound card

2 Front USB 2.0 ports

6 Back USB 2.0 ports

Back Firewire port

Onboard Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Card

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installed along with the drivers (customer will provide their own key for Windows)

Two Year Return to Base Warranty (First year parts and labour, second year labour only)

Hmmm I agree, does look like it it should have a pacman logo and joystick on it! Any pointers in a better direction?

Thanks

I would personally find the biggest case you can get. I am a freak about ventillation, and with a big case you can get some amazing airflow. Not to mention the fact that you'll have extra space for HDDs or whatever.

The 5770 is an EXCELLENT card for the price, and the I7 920 isn't bad either.

I am personally an AMD fan, and I would have gone with a Phenom 2 940, but that's just my personal opinion. The I7 is most likely a little faster, and it was a good choice on your part, but I am just an old-school AMD lover and it will always be my cpu of choice.

In my opinion this is a nice rig, you'll enjoy the **** out of it.

Thanks guys! Definitely a new case then

Only final thing I was wondering about was the PSU and RAM? should I go for a higher one than 600 and is the brand ok? Is it worth splashing on some more expensive brand names for the RAM?

Kingston is generally pretty good stuff. My favorite is G-Skill or Corsair, but Kingston isn't bad ram by any stretch of the imagination.

The 600watt should be just fine.

You could always hang around the forums for a while, learn a little, build your own PC, save a bunch of money :D

Found this:

- ATI HD5770
- lancool dragonlord k62 windowed
- Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz Overclocked to 3.80GHz
- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
- Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel
- Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM
- LG GH22NS40 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
- Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
- 1yr Onsite Collect & Return Warranty

£1075, seems a little better quality than the first quote? gone back to the original guys and asked if they could beat so shall see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom