Need a HTCP for use with Ceton Cablecard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominican2589

Baseband Member
I am looking into buying/building an HTPC so that I can use it with the Ceton cablecard tuner when it comes out. My main reason is because I dont have a pc with a PIC-E slot

Mainly what I want is to use it for media purposes, like windows media center, blu-ray, hulu, boxee and the like. I would also do some video file conversion but the speed of getting that done is not top priority. I would also like to use it as a DLNA server using PlayOn or the like.

The looks of it are not that important. It does not have to be a case that would like nice in the living room but I wouldnt want a huge pc case either.

For components, I am loooking for something that will last me 5+ years. I currently have a Dell Dimension 8300 with a P4 HT 3.0 Ghz and it gets most of my needs done. I have had it for about 5 years now so that is why I am looking for a new one that would give me the same life span.

What needs to be included would be a blu-ray player, Windows 7 64bit only so that it is more future proof, graphics card that can handle blu-ray of course. the graphics card needs hdmi and be able to pass audio through the hdmi. As for the processor, I am thinking one of the new Core i5 or i7. I would not like an AMD processor. I would also need a remote so that I can control it from the viewing area.

Is it possible to create such a machine for $1000? I am really trying to make that my maximum price since the Ceton card is already going to cost me $400.

Now I have never built my own PC but would be up for it or can be pre-built from Dell. I don't really like HP so wouldn't want it from them.

I know a lot of people recommend newegg but I live in NJ and they charge tax for me so if possible, I'd like recommendations from other websites.

I hope I got everything.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/hardware-shopping-megathread-212899/
^ that thread shows some other locations you might be able to shop from. i think ncixus or tigerdirect will work for you w/o the additional taxes.

if a p4 is doing ok for you then getting an i5/ i7 htpc might be overkill.

why would you not like an amd cpu? for the price you pay, their cpus have great bang for buck. you can get an amd quad-core for $100 that should easily be able to handle what you want.

if you really would like to stick with intel, then an i3 dual-core should work too.

The reason I would like it to be a core i5/i7 system is just so that it life usage can be longer. My thought processes was since those are the newest processors out, they would give me longest life with respect to being able to run well on applications., etc that come out 5 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom