I recently built a pc with these parts:

-MSi 790fx mob
-phenom 2x4 965 cpu
-4 gb patriot ddr3
-xfx hd 4890 gpu
-random dvd-rw
-samsung 500gb 7200 rpm hd
-ocz 700w psu

I'm looking around for deals on possible future improvements. My question is what would give me the best improvement for the dollar? I've been looking at these possibilities:

-adding 4 more gb of ram, cost about $100
-adding an SSD, cost anywhere from $150 to $~ depending on the size
-going crossfire(either with another 4890 or even a 4850), cost $200 for 4890 or as low as $100 for 4850

Thanks

edit: forgot to mention I'm running win7 64 bit and use this pc for gaming mostly

I would go:
1) ssd
2) second gpu when you start having issues with FPS in games. (should not happen for a while and by then you may as well get a next gen card)

it depends what you do with your computer.

if you're not having trouble doing anything but you just want to improve load times, etc. you could get an SSD. If you want to increase your multi-tasking ability get more ram. If you want better fps in games get another 4890 for crossfire.

If you don't do anything at all it still looks pretty good.

Water would be sick! but that's about $300 for good stuff and just the CPU loop alone.

edit: You can get a really nice aftermarket air cooler for a lot cheaper, might be better to start off that route for OC'ing.

Are the Solid 2's really good? I saw a review on them and it looked promising, and then I saw the price tag and I thought maybe it was too good to be true. The 120gb with the rebate looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom